Walnut Knife Handle

I have a set of the Chicago Cutlery knives, and need to oil them after several years of use. I have some of the Seal-A-Cell from General Finishes leftover from some projects, and was wondering if anyone knows if that would be good to apply to wooden knife handles too? From searching, I found some people saying mineral oil or BLO would be good, but since I don't have either of those on hand, I figured I would see about using what I already have. Just don't want to ruin a good set of knives by using the wrong thing on them.

Reply to
lcottrell

I'd say go for it - the description of Seal-a-Cell I found says it's a combination of oils and urethanes, which sounds fine. If you don't want drips to harden on the blade, though, I'd mask that off with tape. Just let it dry thoroughly (a few days wouldn't be too much) and then sand very lightly between coats. Andy

Reply to
Andy

Who said to use mineral oil? Might as well use WD40.

If you like what the SealACell did to your last project it should be fine; nothing special about knife handles. Since you don't know what the old finish was, it would be prudent to finely sand the wood first.

Reply to
Toller

| I have a set of the Chicago Cutlery knives, and need to oil them | after several years of use. I have some of the Seal-A-Cell from | General Finishes leftover from some projects, and was wondering if | anyone knows if that would be good to apply to wooden knife handles | too? From searching, I found some people saying mineral oil or BLO | would be good, but since I don't have either of those on hand, I | figured I would see about using what I already have. Just don't | want to ruin a good set of knives by using the wrong thing on them.

I also have a set with walnut handles. A couple of times a year I've used a drop or two of vegetable oil on the handles and rubbed it in fairly well. They've been heavily used for about eight years now and still look like new.

Actually, they look better than new. Early on I buffed all the blades to a mirror finish. It's made them easier to clean and the head chef says she like 'em better. :-)

Morris Dovey