Worms in Ash boards

I have a number of Ash boards that I purchased a while back. When I went to use one, there seems to be worms in the wood. There are small holes on the edges and trails across the faces of the boards. How can I get rid of these worms?

Thanks

Doug

Reply to
Amatuer

At least with old chestnut, worm holes are desirable in some uses - DAGS for "wormy chestnut". Where are you storing your ash? If the worms are still there, and you can get one of them intact, I'd take it to your cooperative extension or a reputable hardwood dealer or something like that to see if they can identify it. Could be a common local pest, or a dangerous invasive. Good luck, Andy

Reply to
Andy

"Trails accross the faces of the boards" sounds like they already got away.

If the "trails" are grooves where the holes ahve been sliced lengthwise, the same conclusion applies.

Reply to
fredfighter

If your boards are small enough, or once they are rough cut for a project, you can bake them in the oven at 200 degrees for 2 hrs per inch thickness. Keep a close eye on them and make sure there are no small pieces that could catch fire.

Reply to
Todd the wood junkie

For a 2 inch thick board would that be four hours? Double the time, not the temperature.

Thanks

Reply to
Amateur

if the lumber was kiln dried, the worms should no longer be in the boards. what you are more than likely seeing is tracks from something people in the log biz call glass worm, a common defect found in white ash. Ross

Ross Hebeisen