Ash

It's been ages since I did a piddlin' little bit of work with some ash scraps. As I recall, it's about as dense as red oak or maple, and cuts similarly.

Any peculiarities of ash that I should know about before starting a little ash project? I know about the Emerald Ash Borer threat.

Thx, Puddin'

Puddin' Man

Of course it's very blond and unless stained/dyed doesn't show much in the way of grain. It's also hard as a bastard (they use it for baseball bats) and as such tears out badly. I have a few hundred board feet squirreled away. I like it to work with but one has to be careful with the planer.

Reply to
krw

Ash is actually my favorite wood to work with. Its hard, but not as hard as white oak. It sands well and takes stain well. Add to that its great for making laminated forms.

The downside:

It tends to clog the cyclone as the chips will stick together. Make sure you route with the grain. Go against the grain and you risk (rather high risk) of having the grain run with you and removing much more wood that you intended, which will definitely not be in the profile you were putting on the wood with the router.

Deb

Reply to
Dr. Deb

It can be very peculiar working with ash. First, never use any rope because you never want your ash in a sling. Be careful not to fall on your ash. If you make me mad I may kick your ash. You will want to especially careful when you drill ash. Drilling ash can be dangerous in many ways. Also once you drill it you will now have an ash hole and that presents another whole set of issues. You really want to be careful with your ash hole. etc. etc.

And don't get me started on yew.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Puddin' Man wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I made a mudroom shoe bench from ash from a plan from somewhere, and ended up with a nice product. All the above gentle folks' comments are extremely to the point, taking humor into account with a grin. As I recall, the "staining" with amber shellac went a little funny, because of the green hues it first had (they disappeared). I also made a shelf unit for my bathroom, which I finished with poly. I'll post pictures nd give the link in a follow-up.

Reply to
Han

Han wrote in news:Xns9FE258858E943ikkezelf@207.246.207.121:

link to photos. The first 2 are ash, the rest is mostly the NY Botanical Garden train show.

Han

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@a8g2000pbi.googlegroups.com:

I laughed my ash off when I read this...

Reply to
Doug Miller

And always use a brown ash bung for an ash hole ..

Reply to
Swingman

Most of it is pretty old but he did spruce it up a bit.

Reply to
Larry W

"Mike Marlow" wrote in news:af646$4f1c52c1$4b75eb81$ snipped-for-privacy@ALLTEL.NET:

I'll try. Do you have access to abpw, alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking?

Reply to
Han

It wouldn't do you any good, Mikey. I signed in and got this:

This photo is private.

Oops! You don't have permission to view this photo.

-- I have the consolation of having added nothing to my private fortune during my public service, and of retiring with hands clean as they are empty. -- Thomas Jefferson, letter to Count Diodati, 1807

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I have used Ash in a few projects and I agree with your comparison with Oak. The only problem I have had, on a couple of occasions, is a little blotching with stain. Both times it was with wood that had a little looser grain pattern and the result was disappointing. Since then I take a moment to wipe the project down with pre-stain conditioner and the results have been good.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

Don't store it in an excavation area unless you know your ash from a hole in the ground.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

"Mike Marlow" wrote in news:346ad$4f1c65d3 $4b75eb81$ snipped-for-privacy@ALLTEL.NET:

Now on abpw under "Ash shelfunit and mudroom bench"

Reply to
Han

Many thanks for various responses on working with ash. All that info, and humour to boot! Laughed me ash off. :-)

Puddin' Man