Staining Ash.?.

I never worked with ash before. Just bought some ash to make a child bed. Does ash take stain well?

Thanks.

Reply to
stoutman

Wonderfully!

Test some scraps and you'll see what I mean.

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

Thanks Barry. I should of asked before i bought it, but...

Reply to
stoutman

I had great success with Danish oil. Very easy to apply....if you like a stronger finish you can add a few coats of polyurethane, but I think both Watco and Deftoil are strong enough. I really like Dark Walnut....it gives a warm look...like old mission style.

Reply to
Mike

Many years ago I stained an entire kitchen full of Ash using a Minwax stain and polyurethane. Golden Honey or something like that was the name of the stain. It worked quite well. Very uniform. The wife was happy.

Jim

stoutman wrote:

Reply to
Jim Egan

Ash is also a very nice working wood. I always enjoy using it.

Even though it stains well, if you can use it for a light colored project, it can look stunning with an oil varnish or tung oil. Think baseball bat color. I recently used an ash plank for a 9 foot by 7 inch window sill, and it looks great in the sun.

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

Ash can take stain and finish beautifully. However some of the less patterned wood can splotch. Recommend a pre-stain conditioner or wipedown with spirits especially if you are going dark.

Dark stained Ash can do a pretty good job of looking like Oak except the edges can produce a marbly finish that Oak can't touch.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

Many years ago I used 1x2 ash to edge kitchen counters which had a laminate over ply. The laminate was like a blue granite style. I used some slightly diluted blue latex paint as a "stain" - wiped on, sat, wiped off. Then coats of poly. Assuming that such an approach (blue stain) does not gross one out, it looked good. FWIW. Ash is on my short list for my upcoming kitchen cabinet project -- no stain this time. -- Igor

Reply to
igor