Very dumb idea, Two riser kits on band saw?

mac davis wrote: ...

The local equivalent in the neighborhood when we were in TN (and, somewhat surprisingly :) in a subdivision on a pretty steep hillside) took the brand new one out early one morning after a spot of snow and a little freezing rain before that. When I left about a half-hour later after the sun shown for just a few minutes in my '72 Chev 2WD, there the beastie was upside down in the creek at the bottom of the hill where the subdivision entrance road made the right angle turn into the entrance road alongside the crick... :)

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Folks figure because we average 300" of snow per year we have 4WD vehicles. We don't, but lots of people do, which is how I meet 'em. I'm on the ambulance. For instance Saturday, keeping their spine aligned and their airway open as the FD uses the jaws to gain extrication room from his high CG, short wheelbase rolling accident.

Trouble is, they may accelerate faster in poor road conditions, they just don't _stop_ any faster, and roll a h*ll of a lot easier.

Reply to
George

'Xactly...plus, in metro areas at least, it appears a high percentage of owners/drivers don't have a clue of what they're driving...sorta' like the many UPS guys I see in the ditches every time there's a little snow/ice--appears to be something about driving Brown that turns 'em into idyuts... :(

4WD here is quite nice when the gravel road to town gets really plowed up but otherwise for road travel is nearly of no great help as you note...
Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Havn't you seen their ad campaign -- "We want to race the truck!"

explains a lot.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

We call spring time the same as the Russians - bezdorozhe - no road time. Frozen under, mud over, go nowhere.

Keep the rig in two wheel until it gets stuck, then use four to get it out, is my philosophy. Of course, I've backed through the woods on snowmobile trails for over a mile on occasion rather than risk finding a turnaround somewhere beyond.

Reply to
George

Actually in a lot of the Uk 4x4s with their long travel suspenders and softer ride than eurobox cars are a much better bet with our rutted, potholed, sleeping policeman covered streets and roads. Even our motorways, sort of interstates I suppose, should be in a states (that bad) are rutted!

Niel.

Reply to
Badger

rockhound

Maybe something like this? On one, you remove the blade on your own chainsaw and use it for power, the other looks to be self powered. Sam

woodcraftssuch

There's a guy Red Green should have as a guest on his show.

Just needs a little duct tape.

Reply to
fredfighter

Save your money on the riser kits - Get a steel framed saw and weld in an extension. You'll probably need to thicken up the column too, as a design that's appropriate at a small height just doesn't cut it when stretched.

You'll also need to work on the tension spring. The extra length of blade is more extensible for a given tension, so you'll need a tension spring with much greater travel. You may need not only a new spring, but also to re-work the spring carrier to allow more travel.

Steel is your friend here (and a MIG welder), not cast iron. It's not a job for most woodworkers, but if you're a metal basher it's not too hard - and plenty of people have done it successfully.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

IMO, what most folks get into trouble with is thinking that since it's a 4x4, you drive it in 4wd...

4 wheelers with experience will tell you to drive in 2wd and use 4wd if you get stuck... if you're already in 4x4 low and you get stuck, it's time to get out the shovels..lol

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

That's if you have part time 4wd with no center differential.

Reply to
J. Clarke

My favorite thought is that all those newbie 4x4 drivers seem to think it makes them "bulletproof", and they usually find out they're not with the first snowfall.

Makes me remember . . trying to get boat & trailer up mud/gravel drive @ SIL's house, his renter had jacked up F150 w/big mudders, he's rompin' & stompin', can't get it up the drive. Older friend w/Chev. 1/2T 2WD, stovebolt 6 & 3 speed hooked on & walked it right up through to where we wanted it.

Reply to
Norman D. Crow

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 09:37:19 -0800, mac davis scribbled:

That's why I have a winch.

Luigi Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address

Luigi Zanasi

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 22:34:17 -0800, the inscrutable Luigi Zanasi spake:

You REALLY shouldn't call her that, WeeGee.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

If they can get you out after you get stuck, they must be strong, like the old Russian women. ;-)

Mark & Juanita

Strong like ox, smart like tractor...

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 21:21:45 -0700, the inscrutable Mark & Juanita spake:

Ah, the old "Strong like ox, smart like tractor." ploy, eh? Good one.

======================================================== TANSTAAFL: There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

Gourmet Web Applications ==========================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

My economics instructor, a native, had his own theory behind the declining birthrate in the RSFSR. He reminded us of the true equality for women they had in the Soviet Union. "Women are truck drivers and lumberjacks. What would you think of going to bed with a lumberjack?"

Had to admit he had a point, though even the finest-looking urban types lost a lot of their appeal to this US boy when approached from down wind and to a point close enough to see the hair that wasn't there on US females. My wife use to remind me not to mess with the women when I left for trips, but I told her my firm policy of never dating anything with more hair on its legs than I had kept me true to her...

Reply to
George