Very dumb idea, Two riser kits on band saw?

Are you sure your name isn't "Tim"?

Why not? If everything fit and it all stayed in alignment, should be OK. But for a "couple guitars per year" why doesn't he just find a local shop who could do the resaw for him,?

Reply to
Norman D. Crow

Haven't tried it, but I have seen, in a friend's machine shop, a bandsaw that has a riser plus a 3" "spacer". My bet is that it wouldn't take much for a decent machinist to duplicate a 3" spacer with flanges using the riser as a template.

Reply to
Swingman

Nah, Tim would've jacked up one side of his car and stretched a BS blade between the wheels. ARRH ARRH ARRH!

B.

Reply to
Buddy Matlosz

Of course, the safety of the saw would be compromised by the loss of the LH guards, the resaw capability would be marginal at best do to inadequate blade tension, and I don't even want to contemplate how slow the feed rate (and heat buildup) would be.

Other than that, sounds like a foolish idea likely to remodel one's face with 3 TPI....

Tell him to buy a couple six-packs for someone with a larger saw if he has to cut 14" boards. Guess that's why most guitars I've seen are bookmatched pieces.

Reply to
George

I haven't seen any that weren't -- assuming acoustic body style that is...

Reply to
WillR

Hello all,

I was working at the Kitchener Wood Show yesterday and I had a guitar maker who needed 14" of resaw, but a small budget. Then it struck me, why not take a standard 14" 3/4hp bandsaw, throw a 1.5hp motor and *two* riser kits on it. This guy only makes about two guitars a year and it would only be used now and then.

Just how dumb an idea would this be?

I know *someone* has to have tried this...

David.

Reply to
David F. Eisan

Hmmm.... Now that plan has some merit. Plenty of power for just about any sawing task and tracking is easily adjusted via the steering wheel. Add in the 5 speed feature (plus reverse if you get a blade jammed) and I think we can get behind this. I wonder if you would get better results with very high tire pressure or with lowered pressure? And tensioning the blade might be a bit problematic - maybe slip the blade on with the tires flat then add tension via air pressure? I would want to work with at least a 1 1/2" - 2" blade I think.

Definitely an idea worth wasting some time on.

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass

I think that mainly it's because bookmatch looks better on a guitar. A single piece wouldn't visually balance well at all unless you got really lucky on the grain.

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass

"Buddy Matlosz" wrote in news:C4g%d.11215$ snipped-for-privacy@fe10.lga:

Now THERE'S an idea........ ;-)

Reply to
Cothian

I kinda like one-piece backs... birds-eye maple. Taste is so personal. You know the birds-eye maple I am talking about? The kind that looks like it's a 3-d suspension of unobtainium mixed with pearls?

'Twas an old Gibson, I don't recall the model..a jazz-type, smaller than a CG...looked like it was 12" deep.... just stunning. An impact I hadn't felt since the first time I laid eyes on Claude Lorraine's Embarkation Of The Queen Of Sheba at the National in London.

A 9'6" 97-key makassar Bosendorfer leaves an impression as well.

The most beautiful woodwork, in my humble opinion, is found in musical instruments. Even my simple, US made, Tele is nicely done.

I often think about the likes of Guarneri scraping a new piece for his next violin as the world went on around him. Looking through his shop window at the street, he'd see the painters' daughter boiling linseed on a hot summer day, a bead of sweat on her forehead, her translucent dress clinging to her in the sunlight, and old Guarneri just scraping and scraping.....

Holy cow! Look at the time, will ya?

0?0 ?

Rob

Reply to
Robatoy

I too think there is merit to the concept. I suspect that Red Green could devote a significant portion of a show to this concept.

bring something to kill"

Reply to
WillR

When I was a kid a guy down the street, who was a contractor, built a saw mill behind his barn. He had an automobile engine and transmission mounted in the front half of a car frame, with the steering assembly fixed in place by welding, for power. The engine and frame could be moved around as a unit as it was basically a trailer. His name was Jim... ;-)

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

For a couple per year, IMHO, quite dumb.

Googling (actually Altavistaing) for frame saw:

a related note, is there someone who sells gas-powered horizontal bandsaws suitable for resawing separate from the portable sawmill systems?

Reply to
fredfighter

maybe I'll try it some night with my neighbors 4x4 toy.. the winch on the front bumper could be used as a tension er, and the truck might actually get put in

4wd once..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Instead of raising the top wheel twice, have you considered raising the top wheel once and lowering the bottom wheel once? That'll keep the load on the motor symmetric, and let you use a balanced 220 V circuit without having to run a neutral wire.

Reply to
Roy Smith

One could use the drive-shaft to power an auto-feed table. And of you put different diameter whhels on the other side of the car, front and back, you could resaw to a set thickness. (Tracking would force you into toe-in adjustments.)

Let's not forget the bumper sticker:

My Other Saw Is A Laguna

Reply to
Robatoy

Doesn't that just frost you? My neighbour leaver her Lexus SUV in the drive and takes her Corolla to work when it snows....WTF???

I bought a new LandCruiser back in '76. My idea of a great weekend, was to do a couple of thousand dollars worth of damage to the thing. I have seriously reduced my alcohol intake since then.

Reply to
Robatoy

I really think we're onto something here, Tim. I'll start the patent search, and you get the rest of the group to sign a non-disclosure agreement.

B.

Reply to
Buddy Matlosz

This whole thing reminds me of old pics of Model T jacked up, belt on wheel to power a saw. Found one I'm posting on a.b.p.w.

Reply to
Norman D. Crow

A couple of the neighbors have $30k to $40K 4x4 pickups with lift kits, big tires, light bars, winch, etc., etc..... and the only time they go off road is when they run over their lawn pulling the big suckers into their driveways..

I've got a 2wd Ram 1/2 ton that could almost drive under them that's seen more mud and dirt than they could carry..

they must be compensating for something...