Use for a broken bandsaw blade??

They're not giving anything away but it's not unreasonable for a countertop, IMO. A 10'x25"x1.5" Maple top. ~$500

Or 6'x25"x1.75" for $240

And throw away the legs. ;-) BTW, it's a really good bench. I have two but mine aren't adjustable.

Reply to
krw

They might be OK for a fairly large shop but all that emptiness underneath seems like a huge waste.

My main workbench has a full depth shelf on the bottom and half depth shelf half way up. There's a couple of full depth, full extension drawers too.

My narrower side bench/miter saw station has a chest of drawers underneath it. (Leon says I need to refinish that)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

So do as I did, Build a drawer'd cabinet to fit between the legs and under the top.

Reply to
Leon

It's pretty easy to install any of that under it, particularly a shelf. It's built like a tank and as stable. I have two in my shop. I use one with a bench vise and the other with a woodworking vise. For the price, you can't beat them.

Reply to
krw

I'm pretty sure I beat the price with my set-up.

The main bench, 96" x 32", came with the house. Made from 1950's era

2 x material. (1 3/4" x 3 3/4", 1 3/4" x 9" for the shelves, etc.) Rock solid. Free.

The 6' solid wood chest of drawers was obtained via a Craigslist curb alert. Rock solid. Free.

The 1 1/2" thick melamine topper for the chest of drawers came from my dentist's office when he remodeled a quarter century ago. Rock solid. Free.

But! If I ever need to set up a new shop, I'll certainly consider the ones that you suggested.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

You mean that I can't talk you into replacing all that with a Sjöbergs?

Reply to
krw

Does it have Bluetooth?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I would stay away from IKEA, I don't think I have the space to assemble a wood counter ;)

Reply to
Brian Welch

I bought a couple of really nice butcher blocks from Ikea. It's been some number of years, though. Home Depot had some nice looking ones, too.

Reply to
krw

Can you imagine how many cam lock screws you'd have to tighten? All those little pieces of wood! ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I'm late to this... was off doing another one of my expedition bicycle trips. ;~)

Anyhow, broken bandsaw blades make good stock for shop made scratch stocks. These can be used for making decorative beads on furniture, guns, etc. An associate of mine uses one to make a trench into which contrasting wood can be inserted on small projects.

If you aren't familiar with them Woodcraft sells a fancy one by Hock.

John Grossbohlin

After the wood crap is cleaned off a friend uses mine for knives... puts sections in canisters with metal powder

Reply to
Ralph E Lindberg

John Grossbohlin snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com on Fri, 7 Oct 2022 08:10:13

-0700 (PDT) typed >> Greetings all

Looks cool.

Now to make my own.

There is an old saying about how when one is young, one has time, but no money; but when one is older one has the money, but no time. I seem to be in a paradox, I have little time. and little money. Hmmm ... maybe I'm just middle age.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

...and when you retire you'll be so busy you'll wonder how you ever had time for a job. At least that has been my experience... kids, grandkids, elder care, maintenance on aging homes.... all this in the face of diminished capacity...

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

John Grossbohlin snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com on Mon, 10 Oct 2022 16:20:11

-0700 (PDT) typed in rec.woodworking the following:

I know. I retired to become a full time care giver and maintenance guy.

We sold the house, so now all I have to do is "care giving"", and driving. And ....

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

You forgot, going to the gym, then to the doctor, so you don't have to see ever more doctors.

I told my wife that I'm collecting "ists", so far I have a cardiologist, electro-physiologist, two orthopedists, a rheumatologist, a neurologist, and an endocrinologist on hold.

My wife replied that there is one I can't have, a gynecologist. I told her that these days, who knows???

Reply to
krw

You can tell your wife that she is wrong, if you dare.

DerbyDad03

I didn't realize that they weren't allowed to treat men or lose their board certification. I just thought it was one of those "it's just not done" things.

I'm surprised most of those things aren't treated by urologists. OTOH, I thought a gynecologist might get involved in breast cancer but I guess that's in the purview of oncologists. The edges of some of these things gets fuzzy.

Reply to
krw

I used to have an optometrist who did ophthalmology "as sort of a hobby" (I think "hobby" was his word, he said he "kept up" with it). He billed the insurance company (and me) for his exams as though he was an ophthalmologist too. When he got to the point of being on the verge of prescribing medication for me, I informed him that I would visit a credentialed ophthalmologist before that happened. He did not refer me to one or even suggest that I visit one either, which seems a little irresponsible to me now, in retrospect. The pressure in my eyes has been a little high all of my life, so it doesn't alarm me as much as it alerts optometrists (it's the "changes" which are most significant, and most doctors don't possess the long term view of the patient). Like it is was said above, the edges of some of these things can get fuzzy (no pun intended).

Reply to
Bill

While there is history of Glaucoma in my family, I have elevated pressures but it's not related to Glaucoma. I have thick corneas which tend to make the pressures read higher. (My brother has the same "issue".)

re: "most doctors don't possess the long term view of the patient"

I have not found that to be the case. Every optometrist I've ever been to have put me on a regular Glaucoma testing schedule (field of vision, etc.) No one has said "It's just thick corneas, don't worry about it." They factor in the few points higher due to the corneas but they don't ignore the family history.

In a couple of weeks I'm having cataract surgery. I've reached the point where glasses just don't work anymore. The foggy vision, the muted colors, etc. The headlight glare from the new LED headlights is becoming a safety issue. I'm going above and beyond the basic replacement lenses that insurance covers in the hope of eliminating the need for glasses all together. Worst case is I'll still need reading glasses for very fine work. I'm hoping and praying for the best case.

The thing about going back to "sometimes needing readers" is that you are always looking for those damn readers. Just like having multiple tape measures, there's never a pair of readers nearby when you need them. When you need to wear glasses 24-7, you always know where they are. ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03