Use for a broken bandsaw blade??

"Jim Wilkins" snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com on Tue, 23 Aug 2022 13:21:10

Ayup.

While in tech school I went to a trade show in Portland. (Teacher would approve the absence if we brought back "goodies".) Powell's Technical Books had a copy of the Machinery Handbook, 7th ed (1940). I bought it for the cool factor, then discovered it covered areas I'd not thought of. Hard a whole section on railroad specific issue. I'd not thought of railroads as potential source of employment as a machinist before then.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Nope. Lot of other interesting books.

Sigh, so many books, so little time. Been saying that since High School.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com on Tue, 23 Aug 2022 10:32:14 -0400 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

_I_ stockpile _You_ squirrel away. ...

Yep.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Or $1900 on something you could buy for $900, like the cedar sectional I just built.

Define worth it.

To me, it was worth it. We got the size we wanted, the look we wanted, the feel we wanted. We sized it for not only our deck, but also for ourselves. We're shorter than the average bear. Most furniture has our feet off the floor when our butts are back against the cushions.

I was able to set the exact height we needed and pull the back cushions forward so that when our backs are on the cushions, our knees bend right at the front of the seat, feet on the floor.

We tested a few store-available styles and none of them fit us the way we wanted.

Plus there's the satisfaction, the pride, and the oohs-and-ahs from family and friends. Priceless!

No, but I spend a lot of scratch.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I really need to sort my old book collection better. Audel's Machinist and Tool Makers Handy Book doesn't belong between The Victor Book of the Opera and Flavius Josephus.

The rough planks for more shelves should be properly seasoned by next spring.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins
<snip>

They'll be even harder to find after you sort them. You'll find yourself staring at where they used to be and not recalling where they moved to...

Reply to
Leon Fisk
<snip>

There are some decent 1921 copies at Archive. Try this search:

Leon Fisk

The American Libraries scans are missing most of the diagrams.

The California Digital Library versions are much better.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Like icons on your smart phone! LOL

Reply to
Leon

Leon Fisk snipped-for-privacy@gmail.invalid on Thu, 25 Aug 2022 11:08:15 -0400 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

When putting things away, I have a tendency to put them where I was last looking / expecting them to be.

And then there is the issue of "Why is this here? Because it made sense at the time."

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

When putting things away, I have a tendency to put them where I was last looking / expecting them to be.

And then there is the issue of "Why is this here? Because it made sense at the time."

----------------------------

That works fairly well unless you put it away hastily to get it out of the way of something else that occupied your attention.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Everything is in its place. I just can't remember where that place is.

Reply to
krw

"Jim Wilkins" snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com on Thu, 25 Aug 2022 18:32:48

That falls under the heading "It made sense at the time".

Like why my phone is "over there" - because I put it down to do something else ...

I keep opening containers and finding the "I know I have one ... somewhere" which is why I now have three of them.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

DerbyDad03 snipped-for-privacy@eznet.net on Wed, 24 Aug 2022 16:49:56 -0700 (PDT) typed in rec.woodworking the following:

Exactly. Hobbyists have an ability to make Fine Product because we're not trying to get product out the door in order to meet overhead. Yes, I would really like to just go buy the computer / study desk I want and be done with it. But I do not see what I want for sale. "Add it to the list".

In the case of the cedar sectional - it is not something bought, but made by Some One. (I made my younger brother a submarine for Christmas when I was in the fifth grade. Years later, my Dad told me he kept that for years, because his older brother had made it for _him_.)

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com on Thu, 25 Aug 2022 18:38:00 -0400 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

"I remember seeing it, now where was I when I saw it?"

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

And it's something we do to entertain ourselves.

And what I do see looks like it came from Ikea.

Reply to
krw

snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com on Fri, 26 Aug 2022 22:43:44 -0400 typed in rec.woodworking the following:

Yep. Or Walmart (side note: it is funny to see the same people whining about a new Walmart is a big box store which will bring lots of traffic, and sells stuff made overseas just swoon when told of a new Ikea, which is another big box store which will bring lots of traffic, and sells stuff made overseas.)

Whatever I built will probably have a certain amount of 1970s aesthetic: pine boards & plywood.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

I've seen that too. I don't know what anyone sees in IKEA. People talk about how cheap it is to completely transform their kitchen, very cheaply with IKEA cabinets. Wha?? The first sink overflow and the stuff is gone. With all of the plastic in it, it'll dry out in a decade and they get to do it all over again.

The one thing I did find there was butcher block countertops. They're great for bench tops. I see them now at Home Depot now, too, so there's no need to trek into the big city and deal with the IKEA checkout mess.

Reply to
krw

snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com on Mon, 29 Aug 2022 14:22:01 -0400 typed in rec.woodworking the following:

When I was looking for shelving & bookcases, and Ikea was a couple miles away - I stocked up. First time in my life I had "Decor". Matching furniture.

Cool.

I'm waiting for some Ikea Ivar shelves to return to stock, but it's been months. Not feeling too positive about this ...

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

I bought a 4' length of butcher block counter top at Lowes back in 2017. A 4' x 2' slab, sealed in plastic. They had 6' and 8'too. I just looked it up the 4' piece and it's almost $200 now. I don't remember what I paid, but it was nowhere near $200. I'm thinking way less than $100. $60 comes to mind.

I used it to repurpose an old hutch as an kitchen island for my daughter's apartment. The bead board from the top section of the hutch was used to finish the back of the island.

DerbyDad03