Ughhh - REpair bad glue up

HI Guys,

I just took the clamps off of a leg I was gluing up. 4 pieces of 3/4" X 3" X 17" makore making a 3" X 3" X 17" leg. On one edge, there is a little gap between the two middle boards. I thought about re-sawing on TS, but I hate to loose an eighth (don't own a BS). Is their another way to 'repair' or conceal the gap. The gap is about the width of a marker line on a ruler.

Reply to
mrcomp_ca

HI Guys,

I just took the clamps off of a leg I was gluing up. 4 pieces of 3/4" X 3" X 17" makore making a 3" X 3" X 17" leg. On one edge, there is a little gap between the two middle boards. I thought about re-sawing on

TS, but I hate to loose an eighth (don't own a BS). Is their another way to 'repair' or conceal the gap. The gap is about the width of a marker line on a ruler.

Plow a small groove, and fill? Planed well, and you'd probably be the only one to notice! Tom

Reply to
tom

Or maybe a decorative inlay in a contrasting wood or other material.

Bob S.

Reply to
BobS

Maybe route out a bit and put in a dutchman patch/inlay of the same wood, if done well will be nearly invisible - especially if you pick and choose the inlay wood carefully to match the grain

John

Reply to
John

Thanks, I think I'll try to patch in a piece of the same. Thanks again for quick responses.

Reply to
mrcomp_ca

A pencil line width? put some white glue on the gap and sand (about 180 grit). The line will probably disappear.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

I think I'll try this first. If it doesn't work I can always try the patch. Thanks

Reply to
mrcomp_ca

"mrcomp_ca" wrote in news:1119487644.235809.239760 @g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Happened to me too a few months ago. Just one leg. The others were fine. I planed off some shavings, adjusting the cut until I got the right thickness. The a little glue and slid the shaving in. Didn't eliminate it, but did reduce its visibility.

Reply to
Patrick Conroy

Reply to
nospambob

I'm going to try this tonight...how tacky do I let the glue get? Thanks

Reply to
mrcomp_ca

Reply to
nospambob

Thanks George and Bob, The glue and paper worked very well. The line is all but gone! Thanka again.

Reply to
mrcomp_ca

Glad it worked. The first time I tried it, I was amazed at how well it filled in small discrepancies.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

I guess it's a little late to ask, but do I have to be worried about how a finish will be affected? I'm assuming not, but better to ask. I have yet to decide how this piece will be finished.

Reply to
mrcomp_ca

"mrcomp_ca" wrote in news:1119609346.933353.264110 @o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

Well, the glue won't take a stain, or absorb finishing oils.

Take some of your scrap, and try to replicate what you did, and figure out how to finish the piece to your satisfaction. There are a number of reasonable approaches.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

Will do. Thanks