TS Query - What DONT you like about your saw?

Folks -

Ok, I know its' been beaten to death, but I'd like to hear feedback from owners or regular users of the following saws:

PM 66 Delta Unisaw General 650

And the Dark Horse..... A Grizzly G1023Z

In each of the saws I would go with left tilt, 3 hp and probably a bies fence. I'd like to know what you DONT like about your saws as well - I figure any of them would be a great choice but have some lingering reservations as well..

For the PM 66, I like the weight, but am concerned about the quality suffering since JET's takeover as well as a less than glowing review, generally, about cut quality (and that's what it's about, right?) in the latest WOOD magazine. The top-dollar price is a factor as well....

Delta - Decades of production of the saw speak in volumes, but again, some quality issues keep coming up - at least in my experience with other Delta tools I've owned. The current special that includes a mobile base and extensions is pretty attractive.

General 650 - Maybe this one should be the dark horse... It got the best marks for cut in WOOD magazine and high marks generally. I can get the saw locally, almost, and it is about the same price as the unisaw, but without the mobile base... I've read good reviews elsewhere too...

Grizzly G1023Z - If I got this saw I'd have some money left over for a better jointer or maybe some LUMBER, but don't want to buy it and then WISH I'd gotten the Unisaw or PM....

Good or bad on these, or other saws, I'd like to hear your feedback.

TIA

John Moorhead

Reply to
john moorhead

BRuce

My only criteria is repeatable and accurate cuts. Anyone of the saws you mention would suit my purposes. Anything more is "perception", thorough tradition and advertising, IMO.

The only saw I haven't cut with is the General ... it looked _very_ well made when I went over one, however. That is why I would give it a close look were I in the market today.

I own a Unisaw, but, if you took the nameplate off and made them all the same color, I would be just as happy with a Jet, Grizzly or Powermatic ... and likely the General.

If money is no object, follow your perception, as in the first sentence above.

If it is, allocation of funds for other tools, and wood, can be your overriding concern without too much worry of not having a usable and serviceable cabinet saw..

Reply to
Swingman

I have a right tilt Unisaw with a 52" Unifence. I love most everything about the saw.

The guard and splitter are junk. Been meaning to get a better one but I keep putting it off.

I got the Unifence because I like the feature of being able to pull it back to use it for crosscutting.

I bought a Uni-T-Fence from

It has t-slots that allow me to easily attach jigs to the fence. It is a direct replacement for the aluminum part of the Unifence.

The up and down and tilt mechanism are both very smooth. Much better than my old contractor saw. My mobile base is really easy to use.

Whatever you buy, I would wait for a show to get it. I bought this saw one year ago for $1349. I am seeing it advertised for $1799. Wait for a show and you'll save some bucks.

Good luck and have fun with you new saw!

Rob

Reply to
Rob

LRod -

Yes, I understand the conflict - but when the PM goes for $2k++ and Wood Mag noted that the fence wouldn't stay square and the cut quality wasn't as good as the General at ~$500 less, then I think I am within rights to wonder if price ALWAYS equals quality... Especially if the company has recently been sold. I don't think I'd have any reservations about puchasing a used, well maintained PM, but did want to raise the issues as I saw them for your feedback - and I *DO* thank you for your feedback.

I have paid dearly for tools that I thought were good quality only to discover otherwise (Porter Cable, most notably). I'll be damned if I am going to do that on a piece of equipment as important and expensive as a tablesaw.

Again, thanks for you remarks.

John Moorhead

Reply to
john moorhead

PM66 - I don't like the splitter/guard attachment. Someday I may make a shop-built replacement if I see the plans I might like. The PM66 is my favorite power tool, and used a lot.

Reply to
Phisherman

I love my Unisaw. Would I change ANYTHING on it? Yes: the guard sucks, and I wish the power cord was about 3 feet longer. Just nit picks. It's a great tool! Very smooth running and the adjustment wheels turn very easily and move the blade quickly.

dave

john moorhead wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

make a new cord! go to your local borg, buy a length of cord that matches your saw (or the next size larger), buy a new matching plug and go put it all together. if your machine is 110 then you could just buy an appropriate sized extension cord and cut to length and wire it in place of what you have now.

BRuce

Bay Area Dave wrote:

Reply to
BRuce