About to take the table saw plung

OK...I have been shopping around for a table saw and after many long hours researching various saws I think I have come down to two possibilities. The list has been cut down to

Grizzly G0444Z

OR

Jet JWTS-10CW2-JF

Both 10" contractor cast iron table saws with cast iron wings. For the most part they seem pretty close to identical and both appear to have good reviews. My question is, does anybody have any experiences either good or bad with either of these units? Comments?

Thanks

Reply to
Eric Miller

No experience with the two saws but I have had experience with grizzly's shipping, or sometimes lack of. If you go with the griz the first question needs to be if they have the saw. If they say it's back ordered, thank them for there time and go with someone else.

Reply to
Jody

"> No experience with the two saws but I have had experience with grizzly's

I understand Grizzly is backorderd on several items now so this is good, timely advice. However, my experience with Griz has been very good. I ordered a 1023S cabinet saw from them a couple of years ago. It hit the local trucker's dock about 36 hours after I placed the internet order. It came out of Springfield which is about 250 to 300 miles from here.

Experience on smaller tools, via UPS has been a week or less.

Reply to
RonB

"Eric Miller" wrote in news:XMRrd.100335$ snipped-for-privacy@fe2.texas.rr.com:

Well, you might consider reading tonight's posts on the new Delta cabinet saw, on sale at Rockler for $899...

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

I have had the G0444Z for about 9 months now. Love it. When I ordered, they said it was back-ordered due to more initial sales than expected, and said it would arrive in about 6 weeks. Well, less than

10 days later it was in my garage. I think Grizzly might over-estimate the time in case there are additional delays, but YMMV on the wait.

The saw is accurate, aligned well, and cuts very nicely. I plan on getting more green machines for the workshop.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Eric,

Very exciting times when you are making a big purchase like this. Nowadays it's really hard to go wrong, there are lots of great tools out there and you generally get what you pay for.

As I see it, the Grizzly contractors saw you mentioned is about $600 and the Jet is about $750 with seemingly pretty much the same specs. What you will find is that the Grizzly stuff won't have quite the fit and finish of some other tools. Don't get me wrong, I own and have used Grizzly equipment and it works well. If I had both saws in front of me I would just work over the fences a bit and see if the Jet was worth $150 more.

In a recent cabinet saw review the Jet cabinet was given nearly as high of marks as the Delta Unisaw and it's 25% less expensive. The Grizzly was given good marks except for the Shop Fox fence which had lock down and deflection problems.

I really like Grizzly. I'll be buying thousands of dollars of their machinery in the coming year but I would "probably" shy away from buying a precision tool from them.

All that being said, if you are sneaking up toward that $1000 mark you might look at the "Super Saws" Both Jet and DeWalt make these. They are more like $900. They have a lot more heft and perform much more like a cabinet saw than any contractor saw. They are also expandable with extension tables and sliding tables, etc. I have looked over both of these hands-on and the Dewalt has a far better fence than the Jet. Personnaly, I would rather buy the Dewalt Super Saw than a Grizzly cabinet of the same price.

Hope this isn't confusing, just my experience. Also, I looked at the Rockler website and I don't see any table saws at all, let alone this new Delta cabinet for $900 but it sounds interesting.

BW

Reply to
Bill Wallace

\ I too have some Grizley machines and honestly I find them to be a very good Value... However I have been running a Jet Cabinet saw for the last 15 years or so...(ordered with a Biesmeyer fence from the factory)...

I picked this saw over the Unisaw ONLY because the top was machined "nicer" then the Unisaw.... hell of a reason I admit but that is the plain truth...and I have absolutely no regrets...

I do not know if you have severe space limitations BUT If I was going to open my wallet and drop 6 to 800 bucks on a Tablesaw I would also think about blowing the budget a few more hundred and look at the Grizley Cabinet Saw.... I am not a fan of the new Hybird saws BUt you may want to look at them also...

I never really understood the claim that a cabinet saw takes up so much room... I also have a Delta Contractors saw set up and the saw itself takes up as much room as the Cabinet saw..... minue the extention tables, and outfeed table... ????

Bob Griffiths

Reply to
Bob G.

I agree. You need some sort of outfeed support and a table board with any saw.

Maybe folks who say that are comparing short railed contractor's saws with 52" cabinet saws?

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

Is your cabinet saw on wheels or does it stand in place? That's where most of us that don't use a cabinet saw see the big drawback to our situations. More mobility is a big thing. My Contractor's saw takes up a lot of floor space but when I'm not using it I roll it to some other part of the garage.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Mike Marlow states:

The mobile base for a cabinet saw is no more costly than the mobile base for the contractor's saw. Outfeed tables can be constructed to fold down against the saw, and it's easily possible to find mobile bases that accept the extension table. If a contractor's saw is outfitted to the same degree the cabinet saw is, there's not a smidgen of difference in mobility, except for a few pounds, which is no problem for most people.

Charlie Self "Ambition is a poor excuse for not having sense enough to be lazy." Edgar Bergen, (Charlie McCarthy)

Reply to
Charlie Self

It's actually the weight that I would have thought would have been the most prohibitive. My contractor's saw, even with extensions and base are quite manageable, but I would have thought the cabinet saw would be a different story.

The real reason I have a contractor's saw though, is that's what I got my hands on first. It was passed on down to me a long time ago and it replaced a smaller version of itself. It's a good saw, has been worth putting the small amount of effort into trueing up and building out, so, I guess it'll stay.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Even if they're double the weight of a contractor's saw, it's probably still not more than you can manage to shove around on a mobile base. I can move

2000+ pounds on a pallet jack. It's the same kind of thing. I sure couldn't budge 2000 pounds without those handy dandy wheels.
Reply to
Silvan

Right - but most people don't keep pallet jacks laying around the garage. Just thinking about the practical aspects. There's usually a pretty big difference between what can be done with a tool like that and what can practically be done with smaller rollers. I'm not contesting that it can be done, I certainly understand how wheels improve mobility - I was more commenting on how common and how practical it is to make a cabinet saw as mobile as a contractor's saw.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Mine's on wheels. I haven't seen a cabinet saw yet that dosen't have at least one mobile base available for it.

I like mobile bases for the simple fact that the tools end up taller, which is easier on my 6' frame.

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

they call 'em mobile bases for a reason. a cabinet saw on wheels is easy enough to move.

Reply to
bridger

Ba r r y wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

That, and mine's always in front of something I need, but only for a few minutes. Without wheels, there would be NO table saw in there.

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch