Trunion Gearset Lube Choices for newly purchased saw

Folks -

Okay - it's still in the back of the truck, but I'll soon be unloading my General 350 Cab saw into the sho.... garage... I need to check alignments and all and may pull the top off to get into the machinwerkins for cleaning and lubrication. What should I use on the trunion gears for lubricant? Grease seems like it would just get gummed up with sawdust and I don't think WD 40 is heavy enough. I know that cats/kittens have been mentioned for use as push sticks... How about as lubricant?

Seriously, tho'.... I'd like your recommendations as to what works best and is least messy.

TIA

John Moorhead Lakeport CA

Reply to
john moorhead

there's always the 'ol carnauba wax saturated with graphite powder....

Reply to
nospam

WD-40 = lubricant

???????

john moorhead wrote:

Reply to
Jules

No.

Charlie Self

"I have one yardstick by which I test every major problem-and that yardstick is: Is it good for America?" Dwight D. Eisenhower

Reply to
Charlie Self

My 350 was fine right out of the back of the truck. Bolted on the extensions and the fence and was good to go. Haven't looked back. So unless you actually enjoy taking your tools apart I'd see if it's actually broke first before I "fix" it.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Mike -

I am going to leave well enough alone for now, but I do want to lube the trunnion gears. They are dry.... I've heard that grease is bad and that silicone is the way to go. What do you think?...

John

Reply to
john moorhead

I won't bring silicone into the shop. It causes finishing problems and can easily transfer to places where it is unwanted. I would recommend a dry spray graphite lubricant.

Nova

don't let silicone come anywhere near your shop.

Reply to
nospam

John Moorhead asks:

No. Keep that crap out of the shop. Use canning wax, add powdered graphite (auto lock lube) if you really feel a need.

Charlie Self

"I have one yardstick by which I test every major problem-and that yardstick is: Is it good for America?" Dwight D. Eisenhower

Reply to
Charlie Self

motorcycle chain lube, it dries dry, hangs on forever, won't draw dirt and crud

Reply to
My Old Tools

Great idea....have to try some!

Reply to