hinges on butterfly jewelry box

Could use some quick guidance on hinging the wings on the top of a butterfly shapped jewelry box. The top will open on each side to allow access to the compartment below.

My prototype was to hinge down the middle so each side could open. ONLY problem with that is you cannot _attach_ it since both sides move when opening up.

So thought one was to run a solid piece dead center, and hinge it with wooden hinges on both sides.

Thought two was a set of hidden barrell hinges set into the same solid piece dead center.

Any other ideas? Piano hinges would have to be on the top since they require a clearance to open and that precludes putting them inside the box itself.

Alan

Reply to
A Womack

Alan by barrel hinges are you referring to "Soss" hinges

That would be the way to go and also do you not have two far points on the butterfly that you could do it in one peice

If you can show us a pic when you can it sounds interesting

Good luck George

Reply to
George M. Kazaka

I don't know exactly how your box is built. I'm thinking if I were going to do something like that, what I might do...

Build a butterfly shaped box in such a fashion that I can anchor a dowel or brass rod along the body area head and tail.

Cut fingers on the wings, bore a hole through all the fingers, then dress the edges so they can pivot.

Run the rod/dowel through one end of the box, the fingers, and through the other side. There'd need to be something sticking up at either end to make this work.

Dunno, maybe not even a good idea. I'm just thinking. Take it for what it's worth.

Reply to
Silvan

Butterflies have bodies that don't move, with a hinge each sde.

You could also do it by making an interleaved finger joint, with a central dowel. Then make it from three pieces, one for the body and one for each wing.

Andy Dingley

On Sat, 06 Dec 2003 17:16:02 GMT, A Womack brought forth from the murky depths:

Use a section of piano hinge and cut one side into more sections. Flip some over so they all have the open side of the roll down. Leave the hinge pin long, bend it 90° at both ends, then insert it like a staple to hold the top on. Or form coils to screw down. The front one could hold the antennae.

The hinge roll would be the butterfly body itself.

----------------------------------------------------------- --This post conscientiously crafted from 100% Recycled Pixels--

Reply to
Larry Jaques

"George M. Kazaka" wrote in news:_yoAb.12$ snipped-for-privacy@news.uswest.net:

Yes, the Soss hinges are perhaps a more proper name for them. The Soss come in two shapes, that I know of, and typical mortis like the old style door locks and a barrell.

Reply to
A Womack