Tool Vest Instead of Belt?

I've had my leather tool belt for almost 3 decades. It was a gift from a friend/mentor when I helped him build an addition on his house. I've never thought about using anything else, probably because you just get used to the stuff you use over time and adapt without thinking about it. I'm certain there's some sentimental reasons in there, too.

However, the older I get, the older my back gets. I already have back issues so wearing a belt compounds them. Because of this, I added suspenders to the belt, years ago, and they really do help. But I find myself skipping the belt and putting tools in pockets of my workpants. That's awkward and a bit dangerous.

One day, I clipped my tape on the suspender strap and then the light bulb went off over my head. I have a shop apron already, but I don't see it being very useful in the field for various reasons. That's what got me thinking about a tool vest.

A vest would take all the weight of the hips, would allow for better movement, and I like the idea of being able to hang it up on a hanger with everything in/on it.

Since I know how to Google and already have, I've already seen many options out there. What I'm asking you guys is..... Do any of you use a tool vest and how do you like it? Any specific brands/models that rock your world? Any that really suck? Anything else I'm not thinking of?

Oh, and Happy New Year!

Reply to
-MIKE-

DEEEpending on how many tools you carry..... I use the canvas aprons that hang on your sholders. In particular, the ones that Lee Valley sells.

Alternatively maybe something like this.

Leon

Oh hilarious! That guy looks like an overworked pack mule with all that on! :-) I know he's just demonstrating how all those pouches can all fit on one vest. But man, if he actually wears that thing like that all the time, his chiropractor is going to make fortune off him.

ANYway.... I looked at their site and they are definitely a contender. All those different optional pouches seems modular and attachable wherever you like. It would nice to be able to customize the vest for each different job. The shoulder fittings are very similar to the chest protectors I already wear for umpiring. Price isn't horrible either.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Looks like it should have "FBI" in big white letters across the back. ;-)

I have Blaklader tool vest like the one below. I find it to be pretty hot and restrictive so rarely use it.

Reply to
krw

I looked at those and rejected them for that very reason.

Reply to
-MIKE-

I find this style to be much less restrictive.

DerbyDad03

But what do you wear under it?

Reply to
krw

It's also not as hot as a vest...or is it?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

No, in fact it might be downright chilly! ;-)

Reply to
krw

:

I'd like to imagine some cute young pretty ladies would find me "hot" if I were to wear it.

Reply to
russellseaton1

Reminds me of a joke. "If I had a dollar for every woman who found me repulsive, they wouldn't."

Reply to
-MIKE-

Jock with a cup what else would you wear!

Reply to
Markem

DerbyDad03

DerbyDad03 wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Do they make those with a cup pocket? Asking for a friend...

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

The upgraded version has a beer cup pocket.

Reply to
DerbyDad03