Ryobi ONE+ "for indoor use"

I'm very fond of the Ryobi ONE+ cordless power tool chain. Any thoughts on that product line from you professionals?

Only problem is, they are all "for indoor use". Here in Sweden, and many other countries as well I suppose, fall is virtually constant rain. Winter is either snowing, raining or snowy rain.

I'm thinking about mounting a parasol on a wood horse or how does one usually get around it?

Reply to
Emanuel Berg

The charger is for indoor use. I have a chainsaw limb cutter, hedge trimmer, string trimmer and leaf blower powered by the One+ battery. None are used indoors, but then it seldom snows in south Ga. and I have never been fond of working in the rain. For small jobs they sure beat stringing out an extension cord or yanking on a start rope.

Reply to
G Ross

I have a brushless drill driver which I used recently to do a fence. I says "for indoor use" in the manual.

I get it, tools are seldom "for outdoor use". Still, that's where I use them.

Reply to
Emanuel Berg

Corded power tools can be dangerous, inside or out. Yes, this was an outdoor incident, but it could as easily have happened inside.

Doubtful that a cordless tool would have been as big of an issue.

Well, I don't get it. Where is it stated that tools are seldom for outdoor use - other then in your manual?

We'd have to go back to using hand tools to build our houses until they were closed up, and only use power tools to finish the interior.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

It is stated in the manual "for indoor use", which is common even for tools that you would think would have the most applications outdoors.

Reply to
Emanuel Berg

Most of my power tools,INCLUDING MY SNOWBLKOWER AND GENERATOR,SAY "NOT FOR INDOOR USE"

Reply to
Clare Snyder

You don't even have an indoor shovel?

Reply to
Emanuel Berg

Emanuel Berg wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@zoho.com:

Most "manuals" for American-sold tools aren't about instruction or education, they're about covering the manufacturer's hind ends. If it breaks as you're using it outdoors, well they told you not to.

Just bring them in when you're done and you should be ok. Don't work in the rain or falling snow if you don't have to.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

But that would rule out the entire winter :)

Reply to
Emanuel Berg

That is what Apre' Skiing is about, sit by the fire and enjoy your beverage.

Reply to
Markem

I can't. I only enjoy doing things.

Reply to
Emanuel Berg

As a full time professional, I have become quite fond of the Ryobi line of tools and find them to be a great value. I wait until I can get one of the ir sets for about 30-40% off and I am even happier. I bought my first set out of necessity (my personal tools were across town when I was facing a de adline) and have used the crap out of my first set for almost 4 years now. No failures! I let my employees or helpers use them and they get no speci al treatment from those guys.

We don't close up when it drizzles, rains, or much of anything else unless we have to. The RYOBIs I have all have been in use in the rain many times, drizzle more times than I can count. I don't recommend it, but it hasn't hurt them. If you get them damp under an awning, umbrella, or tarp if you n eed to work outside in the rain I doubt you will harm them. All I do for ma intenance is to spray a lot of WD40 on the end of the sawzall as the shoe h as rusted in place once or twice when the tool was stored improperly after attending to a water pipe leak.

I wipe off the outside of the metal parts of the tools, NEVER spray, with W D40 to keep them from rusting. Here's a tip I will give you that I discove red by accident. A few years ago I was caught in the rain while roofing a h ouse. We had several boxes of gun nails open to the rain while we picked u p the tools and secured the roof. With the nails were loaded into my truck and I was looking at about 100 bucks worth of nails that could rust and ca use jams in my guns. I sprayed them all down with a light coat of WD40, an d they stayed in the truck bed for another few days. No rust. Then I start ed to spray the nails and brads I keep in the truck to keep them from rusti ng. Great! But I noticed that when I sprayed the brads that are in the to ol drawer in my truck box, the screwdrivers, bits and other stuff by them d idn't rust either.

So as an experiment I sprayed down the nylon tool bags that I keep some of my tools in. (Ryobi comes with their own.) I spray them in and out, wait a day for them to dry, and it has virtually stopped all air exposure corrosio n, even when the tools are zipped up when damp.

If you are completely serious about trying to waterproof your tools, check this out. The method has been around for years, but it finally caught Popu lar Mechanic's eye, so they did a nice write up on it. NOTE: Doing this w ill kill void your warranty because you opened the tool case, but hey... so will allowing it to corrode from exposure to water.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Getting hammered and doing a Ski Bunny is doing something, isn't it? ;)

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

I think we're going to need one if this thread goes on much longer.

Reply to
krw

Wow, very interesting, both story and link!

Reply to
Emanuel Berg

As a general rule electricity and water aren't happy conbination. Being low voltage battery operated, the odds that they are going to do anything that hurts you electrically are pretty small. On the other hand, if they get wet regularly it's probably going to shorten their life.

If you're planning on working outdoors in the wet, you're probably better off with air tools.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Why can't the manufacturers put over a plastic emballage to keep the damp out?

Reply to
Emanuel Berg

They can, for an appropriate amount of money. Remember, the tool has to have some way of getting rid of heat, too. Keeping water out will also keep air out. Plastic is a very poor conductor of heat.

Reply to
krw

OK, so what tools are those?

I'd like a drill driver in particular and then perhaps an angle grinder and some other tools as well, please :)

Reply to
Emanuel Berg

I said "can" not "do". People just don't use tools that way. Most are smart enough to come in out of the rain. ;-)

Reply to
krw