To Nailshooter

OK, Bill. If you are going to be a professional painter, that's called a sash brush, not an angled brush.

Robert, Had to look up your painting tips from 2 years ago (My news provider didn't have them, but Google still did). Just wanted to let you know that what I learned then is coming in handy again.

Everyone else, don't forget to use some dish washing detergent to help wash the paint out of your angled brush! ; ) It's a "magic" ingredient.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Robert uses angled brushes to paint gable facia. :-)

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Now, wouldn't that depend on the type of paint used?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I have two, one at each angle so I can use one on the upper sash and the other on the lower sash.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

You must be very well coordinated. Have you put anything on youtube yet? ;- )

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Do you have both left and right handed crescent wrenches, too?

Reply to
krw

It probably only works on latex (I haven't risen to the rank of "professional" painter yet). If you've got something else, like oil-based point, you'll probably have to find another magic ingredient. Sorry, can't help ya! : ) I went so long without knowing I should have been using detergent to help clean up--that I'm still angry about it! Think of those long hours with my back arched over the sink... ha.

Reply to
Bill

I'm no professional either, but it's detergent for latex, mineral spirits for oil.

You don't need a gallon of spirits per brush. I use a method similar to this 1/8" method. I also let the solids settle out and reuse the mineral spirits several times. I don't know what cleaning method a pro uses, but they do use mineral spirits in any case.

And in case you didn't know, you can wrap your brushes in plastic wrap so you don't have to clean them if you'll be using them again in the next day or two. Just seal them up good.

Once clean, store your brushes in the cardboard that they came in. That will help maintain the shape. It's ok to put them in the cardboard while still wet. You want to let the cardboard "reshape" them as they dry.

If you buy quality brushes and maintain them properly, they will last many years.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Same except I use a paint spinner.

Also, I use the used thinner for initial cleaning, and pour that into a

3rd container until done cleaning so it doesn't contaminate the "clean" used thinner. I only use new thinner for the final cleaning, normally the 2nd or 3rd spin. I spin them into a large can or even a cardboard box. Latex I spin outside if not too cold out, or in the basement sink.

My good brushes are 3-4 times as old as his, and still good as new as long as my wife doesn't get her hands on them.

The paint spinner is a must have if you do any painting and ever re-use your brushes. My wife uses brushes one time only, cleaning them is not her thing.

Also. I like to use glass containers for my used thinner, that way I can see how clear and settled the thinner is.

Interestingly, lacquer thinner cleans well, but unlike mineral spirits, never lets the paint settle out. It stays suspended forever, or years at least.

Reply to
Jack

I use the same 3 container process.

I carefully pour the liquid off the top of the settling jar into my "used thinner" jar. I pour a little of the used thinner into a clean jar for each cleaning pass. After each pass, I pour the newly-used thinner into the storage/settling jar and then wipe out the cleaning jar so I can tell when the brush stops releasing paint.

Ditto

If a spinner is a *must*, I just can't figure out why I have brushes that are decades old and still work like new.

SWMBO marvels at how well my good brushes work but doesn't clean them very well. When I can, I clean them for her. When one gets trashed I write it off against all the other good things that she does for me. Fighting over a paint brush is a ridiculous battle to pick. ;-)

Same.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Bill, What were you using instead of dish washing detergent? FWIW very warm water is very helpful too.

Also FWIW don't use dish washing detergent, water, hand soap to wash OIL based paint out of your brush.

Reply to
Leon

Hummm I must be doing it wrong with my 15 + year old brushes. ;~) I only use 2 containers. I don't pour the clear off of the setteled paint. I simply don't dip the brush that deep. Then I put a little spirits in a clean empty can and do the final rinse. That material goes into the first jar when done. Then soap and water to finish the job off.

I get by with out a spinner but wish I could find one.

You know how the brushes get harder and stiffer near the ferrel? Paint naturally wicks up the bristles to the handle, especially when you have the brush pointed UP. The spinner helps to sling the paint/cleaning agent out of that area, much easier than slinging the brush.

Reply to
Leon

Amateur. There is no difference with left and right, it's metric or imperial.

Reply to
Leon

And yet we've both survived without one. ;-)

My fear (probably unfounded and based on absolutely no experience) is that the spinner will deform the brush, mainly on the outer bristles. Then I'll be pulling out the scissor and giving it a haircut. If it spreads out the rest of the bristles, the brush is cooked.

Like I said: probably unfounded and based on absolutely no experience.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Absolutely. BUT about 20 years ago a friend and I got into painting rental property and a few regular homes, we probably painted the interiors of 20+ houses. He had a spinner and it was wonderful, and then he lost it. That was not a happy day.

No it does not spin very fast, you bend the bristles more with normal use and or cleaning.

Its a tool you have to see and or experience. Like a Domino. LOL

Reply to
Leon

Well, Jack posted this, so they're not very hard to find.

The full link if you'd prefer:

DerbyDad03

I got mine at Lowes actually, work for roller sleeves too.

Hope that helps.

Reply to
Markem

Reply to
Spalted Walt

Except every time I wanted to buy one they were out. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

The Purdy one is only a buck or two more (online) and built much more stoutly...

Reply to
dpb