Tinting Varathane Diamond waterbase flooring finish

Does anyone know if this can be done? I'm thinking of tinting the clear waterbase flooring finish. The maple floor will have a very light amber look when I'm done and I'm trying to skip a step of actually staing the floor before the protective finish. thanks

Reply to
Mcgyver

you run the risk of otherwise minor scratches sticking out like a sore thumb, as the lighter wood will show through where ever the top coat is compromised. I suggest you do it the proper way. Get a good stain that is compatible with water borne stains. Bonakemi makes EXCELLENT oil modified stains that are a breeze to apply, dry quickly and are designed to work with waterborne topcoats. You won't find them at DIY stores. Check the yellow pages or go online to find a distributor.

dave

Mcgyver wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

I would apply a dewaxed shellac instead. It dries quickly and is compatible with water based topcoat. Tinting the poly makes it into a toner that would slightly obscure the grain.

Reply to
Gene T

"Mcgyver" wrote in news:7M9yc.6104$%i1.1708@edtnps89:

Skip the Varathane and buy some real finish. Basic Coatings produces arguably the best waterbase right now used by pros. Street Shoe. Top-of-the-line bona Kemi is good also. Basic sells an additive compatible with their product, an amberizer. Inexpensive and it will give you the ambered look you desire.(I don't understand why, but its your floor) The amberizer may work with other waterbased, but no guarantee.

MH

tweaker

Fri, Jun 11, 2004, 3:35am (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@telus.net (Mcgyver) Does anyone know if this can be done?

Manufacturer. 1-800 #, can label.

JOAT Use your brain - it's the small things that count.

- Bazooka Joe

Reply to
J T