The Platforms For My Vehicle Are Complete - (Carpeted 2 x 4's)

Hardly ever. I rcall it happening on my 07 Tundra 3~4 times over 13 tears. My 19 F150, maybe once in 23 months.

It all happens so quickly you really don't have tome to react. It is over in a split second. Then every thing returns to normal. It does not stay engaged past all wheels rotating as they should.

Reply to
Leon

Manufacturers respond to what the buyers want.

Yes. But time and again, today's automatics out perform manual transmissions in every respect.

Reply to
Leon

LOL, my wife's 2012 Camry ES V6 has paddle shifters! And it has humbled my son's 84 Corvette on the freeway.

Reply to
Leon

Depends on where you live. It doesn't snow too often where Leon lives. Nor does it ice over.

Where I live there are times when I could force it to engage with almost every stop when the weather conditions are right. Just think of any road condition in combination with any braking "technique" during which your wheels would lock up. That's how often it engages.

It's not a flat tire thump. It's not even really a thump. It's more of a chatter. And it's faster than any flat tire would "thump". Well, unless you were doing

250 MPH or so. ;-)

At 45 secs in, he locks up the brakes, in the snow, so you can hear the chatter.

I don't know that I've experienced a lower brake pedal. I'll have to remember to check for that...next winter. ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Better than nothing, but personally, that just doesn't do it for me.

Reply to
Michael Trew

Yes, but faster shifting is a moot point unless I can do it myself -- paddle shifter just doesn't do it for me. It has to have a clutch. No worries, I couldn't afford a Corvette even if I wanted to!

Reply to
Michael Trew

Thanks for the video!

The ABS might have helped my '99 Chevy Metro a couple winters ago... I'm usually really good on the snow/ice, but on a very bad bridge, I managed to spin out, into about a 270 degree turn in the middle of the bridge, and THUMP into the concrete barrier. Fortunately, I didn't seem to do any lasting damage (car is well gone now either way).

That being said, ABS and ESC would ruin my fun! The only part of winter that I can tolerate is that once or twice a year, when conditions are right, and I manage to make my way to the Walmart parking lot... DONUTS!!! hahaha and not the tasty kind. It was actually quite good practice for driving/dodging things on slick roads, and I have a heck of a time doing it. I try to leave within 20 minutes before someone calls the cops on me ;)

Reply to
Michael Trew

It has a clutch. Two of them in fact. What it doesn't have is a pedal to activate them.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Yes, you know what I meant :) -- Operator controlled

Reply to
Michael Trew

+1
Reply to
Leon

I guess I'll find out. I ordered a new F150 yesterday (loaded - $50K). Some fool ran a 4-way stop sign at the intersection of two 45mph roads. He clobbered me in the right front corner. My F150 gave its life to save us but his Lexus fared even worse. We got carted off in the meat wagon to a local hospital. They were taken to a level-1 trauma center in the big city. Though mostly we have bumps and scrapes,I did mangle my right wrist. It's been a couple of weeks of sleepless nights but surgery is scheduled for tomorrow to put it back together, finally.

Looking for a replacement truck, the price compression is amazing. The local dealer had a two-year old XLT for $38K. My insurance paid $21K for my 2013, with 110K miles. I paid $25K for it but it would cost about $40K to replace it. The price of used vehicles is pushed right up against new ones. Used are somewhat more available, as you don't care what it is. Ordering a truck is out to about 12 weeks now. Wanting it *now* is going to be costly. Being in the business (working for a Tier-1), I was surprised that the led time wasn't even worse.

If you want an EV truck, they're taking reservations for delivery sometime in the spring. $40-$95K, IIRC. Only $100 buys you a spot in line. Such a deal!

I'll try to see if there is a secret code to turn that crap off. I imagine that would be hidden to get past the EPA.

Reply to
krw

Glad to hear that you're OK... that's awful.

Why did your insurance have to pay for it if they ran the sign and hit you. Did they not have insurance? If they did, I would pressure their company to pony up more $$$ to get your truck reasonably replaced. Especially since you were carted off to the hospital, there's always the old "Oh, my back hurts, let's not settle this just yet"... that'll send them scrambling and they'll cut you a better deal... assuming that you haven't already settled. Never take their first offer, you can get more.

Reply to
Michael Trew

And playing up the victim for monetary gains is part of what is wrong with our society.

Reply to
Leon

AFAIUI,

In most cases, your own insurance pays to get you back on the road and then the Ins Co's backoffices work to determine fault and whether funds should exchange hands between the Ins Co's.

In some cases, you can get your deductible back if it wasn't your fault.

Of course, you could go after the other driver's Ins Co upfront, but that could cause delays in payment.

A perfect example: A tree fell on my van and totalled it. As far as fault, I spoke with the owner of the Office Park in which it happened and he said "File the claim with your insurance company. You'll get paid faster and they will contact my insurance company if they want."

I checked with my agent and she was in full agreement. She said that if I went to the office park's Ins Co, they might delay payment while they go after the landscaper's insurance, etc. Let us pay you and we'll fight this on our end. Your rates won't be affected regardless of the outcome.

That I will agree with. One of my coworkers used to work for an Ins Co. She was actually in my office, watching the storm that caused the tree to fall. She said to go through the process, get an offer and then tell them that you want it escalated. I got an offer for $X, made one phone and less than 24 hours later I got an offer for $X + .45X. No one came out and reassessed the vehicle, it was all done from behind a desk.

The second offer put me right at the going price for a private sale on my van, so I accepted it.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

If you don't, they'll just screw you over. Do you think the insurance companies give a rats ass? Part of the problem with our society is insurance companies down-plaing issues for monetary gains.

Reply to
Michael Trew

That's a good example. I don't think I've ever been in the situation personally, but I have been close. Most "accidents" I've had are very minor, minimal to no damage so we just shrug it off. I usually have to work with my own insurance company anyway, since it's always been a deer in the past or something.

I've been not at fault a few times in the past with fair damage, such as when a driver without insurance T-boned me after blowing a stop sign. We exchanged info; I found out his policy lapsed later. I was driving a

20+ year old 90's Lumina that I paid $400 for. My insurance company offered me $1,200 to take it and total it out -- I have uninsured motorist coverage. Since they were my own company, and I already stood to make a profit on the totaled car, I of course accepted their first offer and did not attempt to haggle. If I were to lose money on what I paid or felt it was worth; might be another story.
Reply to
Michael Trew

My issue is not with the insurance company so much as false claims as you indicated with the idea of getting more money.

there's always the old "Oh, my back hurts,

That seems to indicate that you are OK with scamming the insurance company.

This just costs us all more money.

Reply to
Leon

That wasn't my end goal, as much as getting your fair share out of them when they are trying to short you.

Perhaps we ignore this, and just stick to my "never take the first offer" advice.

Reply to
Michael Trew