The Platforms For My Vehicle Are Complete - (Carpeted 2 x 4's)

that appears on the screen when the audio is playing?

Well, then you are off my sh*t list, for now. ;-)

Can you find the guy that coded this "feature" and smack him upside the head for me?

Audio Source: Bluetooth, upper screen displays the song info:

Activate the right turn signal and the upper screen displays the side camera image:

When the turn signal turns off, the upper screen displays a *different* song info screen, showing the song title twice. It then flashes the song title that's in the lower box. Once per second for about 20 seconds. After that, it returns to the original song info screen:

What possible purpose could that serve?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I'll try not to get started on a car rant again, but stuff like that is my reasoning for driving 90's and back vehicles. I like the old stuff without computers and touch screens!

Reply to
Michael Trew

Haha, that took me a minute.

I once bought a house with 20 and 30 amp fuses in the old fusebox... most of them had pennies behind them. ONE knob and tube circuit covered the first floor lighting, both main bedrooms upstairs, the bedroom lighting... then into the kitchen ceiling (addition to the rear of the house) lighting... THEN to 20 amp wiring for ALL of the kitchen outlets, THEN to the bathroom and lighting... I think that was the 30 amp with a penny fuse. Both bedrooms on that circuit had a window A/C. I literally have NO CLUE how that house didn't burn to the ground.

Reply to
Michael Trew

My Grandmother has a Ford Focus (I think? Whatever their small car is circa 2014 - purchased new), and it has that Microsoft entertainment thing. Of course, she never uses it, and just drives the car. I assume that's why it's still "working".

Reply to
Michael Trew

Does it ever get back to the original state (full screen)? It is odd behavior. It looks like a selection panel with nothing to select.

Reply to
krw

Well, it's still "working" because she's never tried to use it. It's designed broken.

Reply to
krw

No, I've never had wiring fail in old cars or door posts break off, then the bandaid (weld) attempting to put the humpty car back together, also failed within days. Fit and finish of those cars was

*perfect* and they never rusted out before they were paid for (when a 36mo loan was long). Yep, the good ol' days.
Reply to
krw

Yes, like I said, after the 20 seconds of flashing the song title, it goes back to the "normal" song info screen.

Sure is. There are other functions that change what is displayed on the upper screen, like making a phone call, and they all cause the flashing song title behavior.

The upper screen is all display. The touchscreen for the audio system is down below.

More fun stuff:

When you get a text on your smartphone, you get a message on the upper screen that tells you who it's from and you can have the audio system read it to you. That's fine.

However, when you *send* a text, you get the same "From" message and the same option to have it read. e.g. if I send a text to Kevin, the screen will tell me that I *received* a text from Kevin and ask me if I want it read. It doesn't go away until you choose Ignore, which requires a dial turn to select Ignore and then a button press.

Have you ever parked, wanted to turn off the engine but continue listening to what's playing on the audio system? You have to leave the van in gear and press the Start/Stop button. The engine will shut off and the audio system will stay on (ACC mode). Now you can put the van in Park...if you remember. ;-)

How do you get out of ACC mode? You push the Start/Stop button again, which puts the van in Run mode (lamp test runs, relays click and clack, HVAC comes on, etc.) then press it again to shut the van off.

Maybe all Push To Start vehicles act like that. This is my first one.

I hate it because it's putting extra wear and tear on systems. I always let it come to steady state in Run mode because I don't want to turn it off midway through it's "start-up procedure". PITA just to use the ACC mode.

That's just some of the weird stuff that the infotainment system does. Terrible design, coding, etc.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Perhaps, but not for everyone had issues with the system.

Reply to
Leon

You have to go back to the 70's to avoid computers.

I will take the computers any day.

In 1980 Oldsmobile introduced the ECM. Suddenly V6 engines were out performing v8's and getting better gas mileage.

Reply to
Leon

LOL, Exactly.

Reply to
Leon

My wife has a 2012 Fusion, so I have experienced the wonderful Sync by Microsoft. It has that Microsoft feel of way many controls buried in sub menus.

Reply to
Markem618

Meanwhile you drive into a tree.

I hate start/stop. I rented a car with S/S and it just about drove me crazy. I'd never buy one. There should be a way to disable it. I sure wouldn't buy one. SWMBO has a push-to-start but it just acts like a key (with the dongle in her purse).

Fortunately they were a bad idea that went where all bad ideas went. It was a PITA to design to, also.

Seems so. It can be done right but obviously Honda (and their tier-1 supplier) didn't bother to bother.

Reply to
krw

As I said earlier, there are enough who have to start several class-action law suits. I have one in my truck. Absolutely useless for anything other than an AM/FM radio. Even the Aux-In doesn't work. Forget USB or Bluetooth.

Reply to
krw

Are we talking about the same thing? I am talking about Push To Start. The button is is a Start/Stop button. *Sort of* acts like a key with the fob nearby.

How do you get in and out of ACC mode in her car? You know, to listen to the radio without the engine running.

Aren't almost all newer cars Push To Start? *What* went where all bad ideas went?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Well, I used to push my '67 dodge pickup to start it, so long as I remembered to park facing downslope.

However, the dash mounted 'push/stop' buttons just trigger a series of functions in the EC; mine works flawlessly.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

In my case it worked out to a "free" commute--the payments on a used plug-in were less than the cost of gas for the Jeep. To tell you the truth though, when the thing is behaving it's nice enough that I'm seriously thinking about plonking down the cash for a Tesla.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I used to pair my phone with it (the navigation on the thing is worthless and it's nice to hear an ebook or music on the big speakers) but every time it craps out it resets the Bluetooth and I finally stopped bothering to re-pair the phone.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I agree.

Question: How do you get in and out of ACC mode? Do you have to leave the vehicle in gear and use the Start/Stop button? Do you then have to go through Run mode to turn ACC off?

The Run mode portion is the part that I dislike.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I just use a flash drive for music in the F 150.

Reply to
Markem618