Fine Carpentry - 2 x 4's and Pocket Screws ;-)

My daughter and I did some simple "woodworking" today.

She needed to move her exercise area from the 2nd floor to the basement. Her boyfriend told her that the dining room chandelier bounced violently when she did her jumping around stuff. She doesn't want the 90 year old lath and plaster ceiling to end up on the table.

So, we tackled that project today.

Blank canvas:

Framing built with 2 x 4's and pocket screws throughout:

Semi-finished product, other than painting the exposed framing to match the walls and some type of shelf unit to hold her equipment and laptop:

I put a receptacle behind the TV and one on the left for her laptop.

In the reflection you can see the workbench we built last year and the shelves we built a few months ago. 12' long, 2' deep, 7' high.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Cool!

Questions and comments, and or comments and questions.

I'm going to put a large mirror in my shop to double its size! What could go wrong with that?

Was the arbor nut "a good size" or was it a specific size? ;~)

Reply to
Leon

It does make the basement look much bigger. ;-)

A wayward 2 x 4? Whoops...small shop again.

Luckily I got away without needing the TS. I turned it on after changing the blade and I'm pretty sure the bearings are shot. I didn't like the sound of it at all. The BF's over for dinner tonight so I told him that it sounds terrible. He said it's had a rough life.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Ooohh! Danger, Will Robinson! Since this is a workout area, that sounds a lot like "Does this dress make my ass look bigger?"

Apparently.

Reply to
krw

Nice! I noticed the same thing, before I moved out of Mom's house several years ago. When she would do exercise videos in her bedroom, above the dining room of our circa 1917 house, the chandelier would "bounce", and I even saw the ceiling vibrate. Not good at all, for 100 year old plaster keys, especially on a ceiling, with gravity working against it. I convinced her to switch to the living room for work-outs.

Reply to
Michael Trew

I believe even new house will bounce it you do your exercise in a frequency the resonates with the house.

When I was in high school a modern (1968) brick and steel building, we learned that if the class bounced on our chairs, together we could make the building vibrate. The teacher on the floor below us loved it.

Remember the Tacoma Narrows Bridge that self destructed

Reply to
knuttle

True, but "bouncing" isn't the main issue. The main issue is the damage that the bouncing and jarring does to 90 - 100+ YO plaster and lath ceilings.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

There are multiple cases of stadium seating collapsing and countless decks collapsing due to dynamic, or worse, resonant loads. The "wave" can be a killer.

Before the Tacoma Narrows bridge collapse, resonance and aerodynamics wasn't in the purview of civil engineers. Building a bridge that will stand isn't a big problem. The Romans did it a couple of thousand years ago. Building a bridge to "barely" stand requires engineering. These engineers didn't understand the complete problem and pushed the design past, the then, current knowledge.

Reply to
krw

When I was working at Enormous Aerospace there was a very petite young woman whose stride apparently was right at the resonant frequency of the floor in our building--when she walked anywhere the whole building could feel it.

Reply to
J. Clarke