The Platforms For My Vehicle Are Complete - (Carpeted 2 x 4's)

Push the start button and do not depress the brake pedal.

We have had that on one of our vehicles since 2012. Love it!!!

When I bought my new F150 that was the first option that was a must have.

Almost all but there are a few exceptions.

Reply to
Leon

Our Toyota and my F150 work pretty much the same.

To go to ACC mode press the button and nothing else. If you depress the brake petal the engine will start. Just like a vehicle with a keyed ignition switch. It only works in ACC mode too if you do not depress the brake pedal.

To switch off, press the switch again, and do not depress the brake pedal.

Reply to
Leon

Not in my vehicle. If I press the button again while in ACC mode, the vehicle goes into Run mode. The mode when the vehicle does the lamp test, sets all the relays to be where they need to be to run the vehicle, turns the HVAC system and blowers on, and a bunch of other stuff. Basically everything the ECM needs to do to Run the vehicle except engage the starter. I then have to Press the button *again* to shut the vehicle down completely. That's not how it works in a key start vehicle. To turn ACC mode off with a keyed ignition, you simply turn it off. Move the key from ACC or 1 or whatever the vehicle uses to designate ACC, to Off. You go from ACC to full off in one step. No Run mode involved.

I see going through Run mode as a possible cause of premature failure of some system or another, especially in vehicles that are so dependent on their electronics. That's why I always pause to let the Run mode reach steady state before pressing the button again to shut it all down. I'm not comfortable with a quick push-push which would stop the Run mode startup process. To me, it feels like I'm turning on a computer and then yanking the power cord before the fans and disk drives are up to full speed. The ECU is mid-way through it's boot process and the power gets yanked. I wouldn't do that to a PC so I don't do it to my vehicle.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

No, "Start/Stop" is where the engine shuts off at stoplights and restarts when you press on the accelerator.

Actually, I don't know. She doesn't let me drive it. ;-)

"Start/Stop" is no more. For some reason customers didn't like their engine shutting off at every stoplight.

Reply to
krw

That's awful... I can cut the ignition key and throw the shifter into neutral, and roll to a stop in a parking lot. Throw it back in gear, and engage parking brake (if it works)... key out, and get moving. Key can come out sooner if you're stopping in a straight line (wheel locks up with the key out).

Thank God for my simple cars; I'd lose my mind with all of that madness. I get irritated enough hopping back into an automatic transmission car that has to be in "PARK" to remove the key, or "NEUTRAL" to start. Radio cuts off when you cut the key off; on when the key is on. Nice and simple!

Reply to
Michael Trew

HAHA, that's a good one. I've gone 3 months on a battery that was bad enough that it had to be push started every time.

I have a push-button start car now... the key in my '93 Metro doesn't do anything when you turn it all the way, so you have to push this fancy button hacked into the dash board to kick the ignition solenoid on. Don't bump it when the engine's running, or you'll shear the teeth off of the flywheel -- or the gears off of the starter - maybe both.

Reply to
Michael Trew

Do you have to depress the brake to start a modern key'd car? I've driven some where the brake must be applied to shift out of park, but never to start it.

Reply to
Michael Trew

I couldn't help but to think that those cars are rather inefficient... in the manner that, can you think of how fast those starters are going to wear out? What happens when that technology fails and the car fails to restart... then you're stranded at the stop light with people laying on their horns. No thanks, just keep my engine running for a minute.

Reply to
Michael Trew

Yes, that's what I said, worded differently ;)

Reply to
Michael Trew

I think you're referring to 70's cars. I've never seen one of my 90's cars rust out that quickly.

BTW, my '75 Dart is still going strong!

Reply to
Michael Trew

I didn't mean ignition control computers. I meant the crazy touch screen every-single-simple-manual-control-is-microprocessor-controlled madness. I like manual HVAC controls (you can feel the levers operate as you pull/push switches), manual windows, throttle cable (not wire), manual everything. Electronic spark control (or "ECM" more recently) is fine.

Reply to
Michael Trew

My friend has a mid 2000's Jeep with a V8 that gets 8 MPG in town. If you drive a car like that, yes, I can see how it would save you money.

Me, I'm content with driving my tin can early 90's Geo Metro, and average 48 MPG (city AND highway) on every tank. I get over 50 MPG when it's all highway. Yes, ECM controlled, but everything else is manual - nary another computer or microprocessor to be found.

Pay $500 for the car in one go, and you're set. I get better or equal gas mileage to hybrid like the Prius. My entire car costs less than the dealer charges to replace a head light assembly on a Prius.

Reply to
Michael Trew

I forgot the part about where I get to charge it at work on the boss's dime.

Reply to
J. Clarke

The thing is, once the computer and touch-screen are there, letting them control everything saves hardware cost. And the programmming can be done by below-US-minimum-wage labor in India, so it's to the benefit of the manufacturer to do it that way.

The thing is the goverment is now requiring electronically controlled braking and electronic stability control among other things.

Reply to
J. Clarke

The starters are beefed up to handle the load. The real issue is the engine bearings--I don't think they have a real fix for that.

Reply to
J. Clarke

IIRC my Tundra was like that but I may have forgotten. IIRC also all require the pedal to be depressed to move out of Park.

Reply to
Leon

On 7/14/2021 9:41 PM, snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com wrote: Snip

Actually on my F150, if YOU stop the vehicle you simply take your foot off of the brake pedal to restart the engine, that is with normal start/stop operation.

If you are using adaptive cruise control and the vehicle stops on it's own and shuts down the engine, you restart by pressing the accelerator pedal and that also releases the brake.

2019 F150 has engine stop/start but that can be over ridden after every engine start using the start button.

And the engine does not shut down at every stop light. It all seems to depend on the load on the battery. If your AC is working to keep the temp cool, it will not shut down. And by the same token if the engine does shut down and the interior temp changes the engine will automatically restart whether you are ready to proceed or not.

Reply to
Leon

I know that.

What I don't know is why you even brought it up. When I mentioned the Start/Stop *button*, you came back with "I hate start/stop."

It sure seemed like you were responding to my "press the Start/Stop button" comment but what you're talking about is a totally different subject - something that I never brought up.

Why did you introduce the start-stop feature to the discussion when I was talking about pressing a button to get into ACC mode?

Again...

I said "Push To Start", you said it was a bad idea that went away.

and again....

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Tap it thrice in sequence. You need to tap and hold to start.

Tap it again to shut off.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

I have to press the clutch to start my chevy colorado (2016, physical key).

Reply to
Scott Lurndal