The Next Day, SWMBO Swept Up His Fingertips

I ran into a former co-worker today. As I reached out to shake his hand, he offered me his left hand to shake and held up his right. That's when I saw the bandages on 4 of the fingers on his right hand.

A few weeks ago he was finishing up the remodeling of his bathroom. He had 3 cuts left, just some trim for around the door. After he finished ripping a board to width, he reached over the unguarded table saw blade to retrieve the piece. One second of carelessness and his fingers are now a little bit shorter than they used to be.

In his panic, neither he nor his wife even thought about looking for his fingertips. They just jumped in the car and sped to the hospital. His middle finger tip was still hanging on and the plastic surgeon offered to try and reattach it, but said it would be an 8 hour operation with no guarantee that it would take. In addition, that finger would be so much longer than the other 3 that it would end up being more of a hindrance than an advantage. He opted not to have it reattached.

After about 3 hours of "bone retraction surgery" so that they would have enough skin to close up his fingertips, they sent him home.

The next day, SWMBO was sweeping up the garage workshop. Lots of bloody sawdust. She found one fingertip on the hood of her car and another on the floor. The 3rd one was either swept up or is still in the garage someplace.

She said she was OK with the blood, but finding body parts almost made her puke.

Let's be careful out there, fellas.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I lost 3/4 of my left index finger to a table saw. It was all due to a brain fart. Carelessness kicks in at the worst times........

Reply to
albosch1955

Can't be too careful. I got bit on the thumb from a saw-blade that was spinning down when I flicked a small piece of scrap off the table. It was an old style Sears carbide blade with the large space between the teeth. Between that and the fluorescent lights I realized later that I couldn't really see the edge of the blade in the dimly lit area. It made a believer out of me. As an electronic tech I worked on high voltage transmitters and such and never had a problem. I realized the danger and always managed to keep that in the forefront of my mind like a big bright red POWER ON light. Proper respect can keep you safe.

Reply to
gray_wolf

It sure does. I was drilling a piece of brass on my un-bolted down drill press vice when the bit broke and slammed the vice through a sheet rock wall. I later learned about breaking the drill bit edge for proper brass work.

Reply to
gray_wolf

un-bolted down drill press vice

Make sure you don't miss the other lesson, bolt that sucker down!!! I realized a few years ago how dangerous those benign-looking drill bit spinners can be after a friend's coworker got killed by something similar. Bolt it down, use a fence, do what it takes to keep things controlled!

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

And do it right even when it seems ridiculous--you want to form a habit.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I remember a time when I had spent a week planning a project that I was going to spend all day Saturday working on. I was really looking forward to a full day in the shop. Saturday came, I got up, got dressed in my shop clothes and went into the kitchen to grab a cup of coffee. SWMBO said something about something, I replied, it got heated and I got pissed. I mean really pissed.

After we argued for a few minutes over something stupid, I stormed off to the shop, just about ready to boil over. I opened the shop door, slammed it behind me, looked at all those nice sharp power tools and said to myself "Are you an idiot? Are you really planning to use a table saw *now*?"

I walked right through the shop, went out the back door and started raking leaves. Screw the project, it can wait. Raking mad is a lot safer than sawing mad.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Good risk assessment there.

Reply to
Markem

Good thinking!! Proper state of mind is everything!! I haven't had a woman upset me in a very long time. I did have one tell me something to the effect that "tears don't even bother you." I grinned inside and thought to myself "I wonder when that happened?" I was very proud of myself. :-):-)

Reply to
gray_wolf

"neither he nor his wife even thought about looking for his fingertips."

No point in rushing off the the hospital, there will be time. When I did mi ne (only cut one clean through) there was no one home to drive me. Then my three on the tree Chevy wouldn't start. Went to a neighbor's house (they al l spoke Spanish!) and finally got a ride the the E.R.

Sat for a while with my paw bundled in a bloody towel 'till the surgeon arr ived to take a look.

The knocked me out and I awoke the next morning with my arm elevated and an administrator there with forms for me to sign.

Can't curl that finger and it twists a bit to the left below the cut line.

Two points: Do not panic - absent a sucking chest wound, there will be tim e to collect pieces. And, two, get a copy of everything you sign when you w ake up 'cause it don't mean a thing - they cannot enforce a contract signed by someone under the influence!

Reply to
(;harles