Router fall

I have a PC 690 attached to a Rockler lift on my shop-made router table. T oday, routing 1/8 deep grove using 1/4 uncut bit in hard maple. First of 3 cuts to get to my desired 3/8 depth. Router dropped from the lift while r unning and missed my foot by less than 6 inches. Could have been a disastro us injury. I?ve had this setup for years and never paid any attenti on to the security of the router in the lift. Router is secured by a single squeeze clamp. You know I?ll make sure that clamp is secure befor e every session going forward.

Reply to
Gramps' shop

Today, routing 1/8 deep grove using 1/4 uncut bit in hard maple. First of 3 cuts to get to my desired 3/8 depth. Router dropped from the lift while running and missed my foot by less than 6 inches. Could have been a disast rous injury. I?ve had this setup for years and never paid any atten tion to the security of the router in the lift. Router is secured by a sing le squeeze clamp. You know I?ll make sure that clamp is secure bef ore every session going forward.

Glad you weren't injured! I secure my router to a 1/4 inch square of plywoo d with four sunk screws and wingnuts. Then set that on the recess of my hom emade table. It seems to work ok.

Reply to
Michael

e. Today, routing 1/8 deep grove using 1/4 uncut bit in hard maple. Fir st of 3 cuts to get to my desired 3/8 depth. Router dropped from the lif t while running and missed my foot by less than 6 inches. Could have been a disastrous injury. I?ve had this setup for years and never pai d any attention to the security of the router in the lift. Router is secu red by a single squeeze clamp. You know I?ll make sure that clam p is secure before every session going forward.

ywood with four sunk screws and wingnuts. Then set that on the recess of my homemade table. It seems to work ok.

That's scary. I'd consider putting a steel cable leash on it or a cage on the bottom side.

Reply to
gray_wolf

Is there a roll pin or other indexing set up on the router that is not working any more?

Reply to
Leon

Leon, I don?t believe so. The problem is that the squeeze clamp op ened. I?ve now added a bungee cord as some insurance to keep it cl osed. Please stay tuned as I am now diagnosing some bit creep.

Reply to
Gramps' shop

p opened. I?ve now added a bungee cord as some insurance to keep it closed. Please stay tuned as I am now diagnosing some bit creep.

I don't know what your definition of a bungee cord is, but as I think of

a Bungee cord, I would not trust it in that application as you propose.

As stated else where I would consider a more permanent solution. One that give a more secure installation.

Reply to
Keith Nuttle