The Houston Gang

Where, above, was that stated? You wouldn't be perceived as such a jerk if you would stop with the strawmen.

I note that you don't have a problem with no plumbing or ventilation in the deep south in late summer.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

The point being, humans are resilient. Some of us are old enough to remember back when there was no FEMA. I had family members (cousins) that lost everything but survived hurricane Camille back in '69, they woulda' thought they "were shittin' in high cotton" if the Govt had delivered a 16ft POD as temp housing as opposed to being crammed in a school several miles away.

"Ventilation could be an issue" - Roll the door upward. "You need windows" - Roll the door upward. "fans" - - Roll the door upward. "heaters" - Roll the door downward.

Reply to
Spalted Walt

snipped-for-privacy@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) wrote in news:X_xtB.60667$ snipped-for-privacy@fx10.iad:

Don't focus so tightly on the container as it is. Look at it as it could be: Windows, doors, plumbing, electricity can ALL be installed. Shoot, you don't even need to make the exterior walls as tough and heavy as you would for moving freight. (They still need to be tough and heavy, you'll have very rough handling by guys who "know containers.")

I thought they'd be closer to 8', but 6' is still workable.

How many live in cars and vans?

Ah yes, reckon.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

On 12-Sep-17 6:23 AM, Puckdropper wrote: ...

And by the time you do that w/ a box not intended for the purpose might as well just have a purpose-built prefab -- oh, FEMA already did that.

There's an outfit around here using them as the basis for tornado shelters and folks use them all over as storage and occasionally repurpose for small barns, etc., and yes, rarely for dwelling space but they're simply not particularly well-suited for the purpose at hand.

Reply to
dpb

Actually there is/was a show on one of the HIY or H&G channels that showed homes being built from shipping containers. I would entertain it.

Reply to
Leon

You mean these are no good?

Ed Pawlowski

Interesting reads

Leon

a 40 footer would be even better for a family home

Reply to
clare

I think the idea is that these intermodal containers could be shipped where they're needed using existing infrastructure and *stored* until needed. The FEMA trailers made during Katrina weren't much good the first time around.

For permanent homes, no, I don't think anyone is proposing that they're a good idea.

Reply to
krw

Many architects seem enamored of them. Here's an interesting point (among many) made by an architect pushing back against the fad:

An empty 40' shipping container weighs 8380 pounds. A galvanized steel stud weighs a pound per linear foot. These two containers, melted down and rolled and formed, could have been upcycled into 2,095 8' long steel studs. Framing the walls instead of using shipping containers would have used about 144 of them. Using shipping containers as structural elements for a one storey building is downcycling and wasting of a resource.

Later on he says

Don't get me wrong; I love shipping container architecture that moves, plugs in, that takes advantage of the tremendous infrastructure. I agree with Mark that it is terrific for temporary or emergency uses. But does it make good housing? I don't think so. Perhaps after all these years I am still missing something.

Source

William Ahern

Where would you store them? Considering we now know where they are needed, where would you have stored them prior to Harvey and Irma.

Would enough containers have been delivered to Barbuda prior to Irma? The Keys? The coastal areas around Houston - e.g. the small towns and villages, etc.?

Do you load up California in anticipation of the Big One? If so, where? Everywhere?

How do you determine where the next disaster will strike? How do keep them ready for use when they may sit fior decades?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

According to this guy the container can be better used making 2095 studs. What is the total impact once those studs are made into walls with drywall, nails, energy for recycling, etc.? Doubt he did the right research before commenting

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

It can have benefits. They can be stored in much less space than a FEMA trailer since containers stack well. You can transport 12,000 of them on a single ship. Of course, then you need the supporting infrastructure to handle the ship, the loading/unloading and the tractors to move them to final location. Trains can move them too, but you still need the right equipment on the rails.

It is not a single solution to all housing needs but I can see it as a benefit is some areas. Just one piece of a well planed pie.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

There are one or two army bases in Florida, Georgia, and even Texas.

Is FEMA responsible for "Barbuda"? Can FEMA build trailers and have them pre-placed around the Keys, Houston, small towns and villages,

*before* the hurricane hits? Good grief. THINK! Guess what "intermodal" means.

Hell, no. Store them in Antarctica where they'll be out of sight!

That's why the steel shell makes sense. Drywall and termite barf that FEMA used makes no sense at all.

It's not decades between emergencies, BTW.

Reply to
krw

Exactly. Something that can be done _before_ it's needed.

Reply to
krw

Reply to
bnwelch

The people in Indiana who built most of them might disagree, the stories of bad trailers are likely the one that got the most press. It did pump money into Indiana to people who needed it.

Reply to
Markem

LOL!

Spalted Walt

Broken windows are great for the economy. Too bad we don't have more cat-4 hurricanes.

Reply to
krw

Downed trees are good for the local economy. All the bearded backwoodsmen are swarming around in their pickups with a chainsaw and a trailer. Let them make a little money off the storm, I say.

Reply to
G Ross