The Houston Gang

So you move your boat and your camping trailer into the street when workmen show up so they can park where those are normally kept? Most residential driveways don't have enough space for the entire crew that builds a house to park.

So? Who said anything about "class A". You're looking for an alternative to a motel room, not an alternative to Versaiiles.

Then you should learn to write more clearly.

Which has what to do with rebuilding a house that they do not own? Renters aren't tied to a particular property. They aren't going to rebuild the landlord's house for him and they don't have any need to live near a particular property while someone is building more rentals or rebuilding existing ones. If they have skills that are in demand they may just move somewhere else. After Katrina, a lot of people moved to Texas. Now they may move back to New Orleans.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Good Lord, you're dense. Nevermind. Argue with someone else about something.

Reply to
krw

"With the vehicle"? A class C _is_ the vehicle.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Reply to
J. Clarke

Hey, you're the one coming up with lame arguments why somebody can't live in an RV for a while while their house is being repaired. I'm just pointing out that they're lame.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Actually yes.Complete and driveable. Might not pass any safety inspectiom, but as I said - adequate for emergency use. Even if you scrap it after 3 months it's cheaper than a motel. Also some old Class A units - with big gas guzzling V8 engines and even a few old bus conversions. Something I'd travel accross the continent with? Definitely not - but something to keep you warm and dry, and secure - most definitely. With working appliances even, so you can cook meals and keep the beer cold.

Reply to
clare

Or if they are smart somewhere where Hurricaines are not an everyday fact of life - and forget Kansas or Oklahoma where Tornadows can be just as bad. For the "poor" - retired, unemployed or on welfare there is nothing stopping them from movng to somewhere where housing is cheap and jobs are scarce. Detroit mabee??

Reply to
clare

Even a slide-in pickup camper would do the job - and you DO NOT need to own the truck. Just chain it down well!!.

Reply to
clare

So 5th grade, ok.

Reply to
-MIKE-

He is in the Turd grade

Reply to
Leon

I think he kill filed every one. Good, he is gone.

Reply to
Leon

snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote in news:asq7rclt5c1mf4brd2gu4j5m5jkfpslfpc@

4ax.com:

One thing I've wondered about... Couldn't a reasonable place to stay for a family be built in a 20' container? They're stackable, so you could load a stack train up and unload in an empty parking lot. Instant temporary apartment complex, good for a month or so for things to get going again.

They're supposed to be small and cramped, you don't want people thinking they're going to live there for any length of time. Shoot, weld down the beds and everything but the chairs for "transportation reasons" but also to keep people from moving stuff out to move stuff in.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

If we're being creative how about something like a section of a Japanese "capsule" hotel built into a container. Not sure how many people you could fit into ond that way but it's dense and cheap and more private than a barracks.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Assuming the parking lot is right by the tracks and that the unloading equipment can be set up/used on-site. If not, add a transportation step to the set-up process.

A month or so isn't going to be enough. It'll take a lot longer than that to set up long term temporary housing.

Ventilation could be an issue. You need windows, fans, heaters, etc. Heck, FEMA got screwed on trailers that were designed to be lived in. Imagine all the issues with housing people in converted shipping containers. The lawyers are already salivating.

Besides, the gathering of the containers and beds, the cleaning, the welding, the set-up etc. all take the "instant" part out of the equation.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Spalted Walt

It was talked about post-Katrina but never went anywhere. I think it would be a good idea. The "housing" could be stored for the next emergency, unless they couldn't keep critters out of them (don't know). They wouldn't be of much use if they were rodent infested when they were needed. Cleaning after might be a problem, too.

In an emergency, it should be possible to find some space next to a rail line.

The difference is that there would be time to plan. That said, the government isn't good at planning.

I was thinking more of an advanced project. Make 10K of them and store them around the country on military bases, or some such.

Reply to
krw

equipment can

at to set up

the issues with

y salivating.

Nice pictures.

Is there a reason that you posted them?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

DerbyDad03 wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Right, but 2-3 semis with a pair of containers each could probably have

10-20 containers set up in a day.

How long do you recon?

Good point about the ventilation. That kind of stuff would cut into the living space severely. There's also the little matter of waste extraction.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Have you ever been _in_ a container? 20' by 6' is what, about 120 square feet? No Windows, door hardware only on the exterior. No plumbing, No electricity.

Ah Reckon...

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Yeah, just sleep in the street. 120ft^2 isn't enough shelter. It's

*insulting*.
Reply to
krw