Thanks Doug!

Judging from the number of dropped article headers I see this morning in News Proxy, it appears the shitheads are at it again.

Thanks to Doug Miller, didn't see a thing.

Thanks again.

Reply to
Swingman

Seems I missed something of value here. Can you point me at whatever the "super diddle" is that eliminates = shitheads?

--=20 PDQ

--

Reply to
PDQ

Download Nfilter at

Swingman

What do you do with this? I downloaded nfilter, but it does nothing. I sent the email and got one back. Do I somehow use the reply with nfilter?

Reply to
Toller

Did you install and configure it? Or just download it?

Uhhh.. yes. That's the whole point of the filter file.

Here's what you need to do:

  1. Install Nfilter.
  2. Edit Nfilter's configuration information to match the newsserver name or IP address that you're presently using in your current news client.
  3. Change the configuration of your news client to use 127.0.0.1 (or localhost) as the newsserver. That instructs your news client to look at Nfilter, instead of the newsserver, for the newsgroups.
  4. Save the reply you got from my autoresponder in the directory that Nfilter installed into (typically "C:\Program Files\NewsProxy") as NFILTER.DAT (overwriting the existing copy of that file).
  5. Stop and restart both Nfilter and your news client.

All should be well. Post again (or email me privately -- the address is in the filter file you got from the autoresponder) if you're still having trouble.

Reply to
Doug Miller

You're welcome, as always. Glad to help.

BTW... I can't take *all* the credit for this, or even the larger portion of it. That credit belongs to the guy(s) that wrote the Nfilter program. All I did was develop the filter file. And even some of that, Robert Bonomi deserves the credit for, not me.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Doug has said it before but didn't repeat it in this post.

Under Edit > Configuration be sure that "Enable regular expressions" is checked.

Reply to
BobS

You have to point NewsProxy to pull the messages from your real NNTP (news) server and then set your news reader to use "localhost" for the news server.

Reply to
no(SPAM)vasys

Ahh, yes. Missed that one this time around. Thanks for catching that.

I really ought to see how hard it would be to set that as the default...

Reply to
Doug Miller

See what?

(Yes, thanks Doug...)

- jbd

Reply to
John Dykes

Thanks for your time and energy in making the filter file.

Finally got it working after reading BobS' comment.

Dave

Reply to
David Bridgeman