table saw push stick or push block or ???

Page 4 of 4
Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote in

Yeah, I had one like that, too. I think Delta used to supply a drawing for that style stick in their manuals (cut it out of the manual, glue to a piece of plywood, cut plywood to make stick). I never felt comfortable with it.
John
snipped-for-privacy@ix.netcom.com says...

The delta manual with that plan is one of the links from the article.
That's actually similar to the design I use to move "well controlled" stock through. With featherboards on top and side the board isn't going anyewhere unless it rips the fence off in the process and the notch helps me keep the stick where I want it. But sometimes the stick has to be narrow to push under the featherboard (yeah, I know, I need to make up some thinner featherboards for those cuts.
Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote in

I decided to quantitize my assertation that a safer push stick is super easy to build... It took me two pieces of wood, two screws, and about 6 minutes to build a quick and dirty push stick that's much better than the birdsmouth style.
Check A.B.P.W. for some rough and awful woodworking.
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

On 8/1/2015 3:32 PM, John McCoy wrote:

And mine is similar to Swingmans except mine is shorter and the handle is more on top.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/20208704605/in/dateposted-public/
I have been using this design for about 16 years and this one is probably that old. I have a few as back ups. I made it out of 1/2" Baltic birch plywood so it does not weaken much as more of it gets cut away, in width. It is getting close to retirement.
An important aspect to this design is that I can apply quite a bit of pressure down on the board to prevent what you have described, the notch lifting. More importantly, that downward force helps to prevent the board/work from lifting as it passes the back side of the blade.
Those push sticks that do not hold the work down scare the hell out of me. They keep your hands away from the blade but do nothing to keep the work from being lifted and thrown back at you.
http://www.harborfreight.com/push-stick-33279.html
On 8/1/2015 3:32 PM, John McCoy wrote:

Over 60 years of using that/similar design on a table saw and that has never been an issue.
Different strokes ... folks should use what is comfortable for them.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

this is what i was thinking when i made mine
On Sat, 1 Aug 2015 08:36:48 -0700, Electric Comet

I have a couple fiberglass ones, one with a magnet in the handle. It's stuck to the side of the table, right next to the remote control for the dust collector (also stuck on with magnets). The other sits on top of the fence. I like them where they're handy (and I know where they are).

On Sat, 01 Aug 2015 20:37:28 -0400

like the idea of storing with a magnet i notice some newer saws have mounts for storing the miter sled