Storing push mower for winter?

Hi y'all, How and where do you store your push mower for winter? I currently store mine in my small one car garage on the floor, but I'd like to hang it up thus making more room so SWMBO can park her car inside this winter. I think it can be hung by the handle because it isn't heavy (no fancy add-ons, just deck & motor). If hung, Is it a good idea to remove oil & gas first? I've also thought about making a shelf for the mower. Comment? Suggestions? TIA Joe

Reply to
Joe_Stein

You should always remove the gasoline no matter where you store it. I would just hang it by handles. Probably ok to just leave the oil in it but won't hurt to drain that too. (Next spring fill it with Mobil 1 5W30).

Reply to
HRL

I use Stabil in the gasoline. I have not stored any gas-powered tool off the floor, but you need to make sure it is secure if you do. A platform of some sort might work for you--something the hood of the car can fit under.

Reply to
Phisherman

Best is to run it dry of gas, old gas will dry out in the carb leaving varnish, residue buildup. Depending on where the piston is oil could migrate into the cilinder-valves or carb making alot of major problems next year. Drain the oil or store it on the ground

Reply to
m Ransley

I've always been told to drain the old oil and winter with new oil. The idea is that with no oil, rust can form on the crankcase and cylinders.

Reply to
Buck Turgidson

I agree with leaving oil in, but it wont help the cilinder, you must use Fogging oil for that. But if he hangs it up and his cilinder is pointing down when he tries to start it if to much oil is into the cilinder the piston can crack from excessive compression from non compressing oil. His best bet is change oil , run the gas dry and fog the cilinder and leave it flat.

Reply to
m Ransley

Don't know about the crankcase. The oil covering there should be adequate.

I usually leave the oil in but I always pull the plug, squirt a little oil into the cylinder and turn the engine over a couple times to spread it around. Emptying the tank is especially important when storing a snowblower for the summer and hot weather.

I prefer using fresh gas at the beginning of a season instead of using stabilizer. Would only use stabilizer if the gas is not easily removed. I use a little piece of tubing to siphon out as much gas as I can and then run the engine until it dies.

Reply to
HRL

Best choice is get an old 2 cycle Lawnboy and run it dry. No oil to worry about.

Reply to
Art

I run mine until it is out of gas. I may drain the oil or change it in the spring. I'd not put it at any other angle unless you drain the oil first. Oil could go places it don't belong or even leak out and make a mess.

On a side note, I always remove the shroud and clean the clippings and leaves from the cooling fins. Aside from cooling, it also permits proper air flow over the vain that governs the speed. John

Reply to
JohnR