OT: Waay OT: Toenails

I cut my toenails this morning and commented to my wife that I didn't understand why they grew faster on one foot than the other. She replied that hers did as well. A little discussion established that mine grew faster on my right foot and hers on her left foot - the opposite of each of our predominant hands. IOW, left handed = right foot, right handed = left foot.

So have we discovered a general principle? Have others noted the same inverse relationship? Inquiring minds want to know :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

You should apply for a Fed Govt grant to research left- and right-toenailedness. Probably need to hire people to do the dirty work (measuring toenails on smelly feet). That should provide income for several starving college students. If you include categories by age, you could milk this for years as the subjects get older. Be sure to include chiuldren of all ages so yoiur children can carry on the research over time.

See how easy it is to get money from the Fed Govt? Aren't you glad someone is watching your tax dollars so carefully?

Y'all need to find a hobby.

Reply to
Leon

I don't know about nail growth, per se, but....

OT related info: Specific abnormal nail growth is directly related to the efficiency one's o xygen uptake by one's lungs. Poor sleeping, causation of snoring, smoking , and other similar breathing/health related issues contribute to the cause s of poor breathing, poor oxygen uptake. Look closely at COPD patients, t heir nails curl, claw-like, as well as their fingers and toes will develope a curling posture. Many folks with long term heart conditions have/develo pe similar "curling" effects. Observation of curling of nails and digits are a diagnostic tool, by physicians, for the onset of heart and COPD probl ems.

Including, with the detection of curling of digits/nails, the nail surface and skin tend to develope a high glossy appearance, more so than normal ski n tone. Often, it's the glossy skin that is first noticed, leading the phy sician to look more closely at/for the other features/conditions, for furth er evaluating a patient. *A patient's initial complaint may not have been about their heart or their breathing problems, but some other "thing" that 's bothering them. That other "thing" may well be a side effect of the ma in, hidden, issue, hence the further eval, beyond the shiny skin (suspect), etc.

Some, not all, long term asthma patients develope these curling conditions, also.

I'm not aware of these conditions primarily or predominantly on one side or the other. Maybe a govt study IS needed, after all!

LOL. Govt study hobby!?

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

A government study to study government studies? Sounds like a career!

Reply to
krw

It's the same as the nails on your fingers......the nails on the predominant hand grow faster. At least what I have understood most of my life.

Reply to
Meanie

Could it be that you wear (break?) the nails more on your dominant hand?

Reply to
krw

krw wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

OK, so I guess I'm going to die...

You laugh, but the government does do this. I was reading of one recently, which studied the annual reports mandated by Congress (federal agencies are required to produce 4000-odd annual reports, most of which no-one reads). That study led to the elimination of 40 reports, altho during the study period Congress passed legislation adding 70 new ones(*).

John

(* this part doesn't seem credible - it's hard to beleive the current Congress did _anything_, let alone authorize as many as 70 reports).

Reply to
John McCoy

So imagine how many a Congress that is going along at its _usual_ rate authorizes.

Hmm--that's another provision that should be in the Constitution--all paper consumed or processed by the government _must_ be unloaded from the truck by members of congress, by hand, without any powered equipment, and without the use of any delegates, aides, or other proxies.

Reply to
J. Clarke

LOL. The hypochondriac approach: To narrow the scope to a single circumstance/condition/symptom and declare "no hope".

There's been times, when in the woodshop, I go for a beer and discover there's none, hence I can no longer do any (viable!?) woodwork.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

I think it would be far more productive if each were required to actually *read* what they've authorized.

Reply to
krw

When I did drink, the fact of going for a beer meant that I was no longer going to do any viable work (sweep the floor, maybe).

Reply to
krw

I agree with that one as well. However you're going to get a big argumennt about how reading legislation is too important to be left to the legislators.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Never noticed that. Now I'll have to keep an eye on it :-).

The only reason my right foot would be dominant would be kick starting the motorcycle :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

OK, but does that mean that they shouldn't read it?

Reply to
krw

Some people seem to think so. I once suggested an amendment requiring that any legislator read any piece of legislation, aloud before witnesses, before being allowed to vote on it. It was like I'd suggested a ban on apple pie or something.

One part of the viewpoint was that it would "slow the pace of legislation". Since I am one who cannot understand why we need 500 new laws every year, or even 50, I do not find that argument compelling, but others, who seem to think that if we are not getting 500 new laws a year we are failing as a society, argue it vehemently.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Probably because they've never read anything aloud.

...and that's a bad thing?

There's nothing wrong with gridlock. If it's so damned important, both sides will get it done. If not, it wasn't so important and can wait until it is. That was the whole point of our system.

Reply to
krw

Bingo. But tell it to the damned news commentators and the like.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Lines 91-94: . . .

Line 95:

This is a general comment to all to kept building this message. Please highlight the part you're replying to and *then* reply. It's really

*not* that difficult.

Yes, I know someone will accuse me of being a "net nanny". Well, I wouldn't be if posters would just be considerate.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

There is no means on USENET by which one can "highlight" anything. This is a text-only medium.

In any case you seem to have figured it out without any difficulty.

Reply to
J. Clarke