Solve this Husband-Wife Debate

Looking for experience to shed light on a debate in my house.

Basics: We live in Detroit Suburb, have a 1970's cheaply constructed house, 2 story Colonial.

We have $20k to redo the kitchen.

One of us wants to "bump" out the house, to add room to kitchen, then start working. The other one says once you "bump" out your 20k is GONE!

We will get extimates in the next few weeks, but just for now, I want to hear from experienced remodelers/builders as to what kind of price range would you be in to enlarge a kitchen. I know it is insanely vague, but any wild estimates?

I am not saying who supports what position, so as not to taint the debate.

Reply to
Jack

The bump will probably take half the budget., but it is a good idea Today,

20K does not buy much kitchen anyway.

Keep in mind that a 100 sq. foot add on is not twice a 50 sq. ft. so don't skimp to save a few bucks. The contractor can give you some guidance on what is a good size to fit the existing house.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

May want to ask the neighbors who if they had an appraisal done for either buying or refianace. It will give you an idea of $$$ per sq ft. So this will help justify the renovation.

If you do it DIY and contract out the bare essentials you may still be able to pull it off.

Also, will the addition force you to redo the exterior of your house to make it match?

Reply to
c_kubie

You can easily spend $20-50K+ just remodeling a kitchen. And depending on what exactly you mean by "bump out", $10K sounds like the low end for that too. Once you start fooling around with exterior walls, foundation, roof, moving plumbing/elec, things add up pretty quick.

Reply to
trader4

The first thing I'd think about is whether it's worthwhile at ANY cost, based on:

1) How long do you plan on living there? If you can foresee stepping up to another house in the foreseeable future, adding size to the house may be a bad investment because of this: 2) Based on average selling prices in your neighborhood, the type of house, and lots of other factors, you may never be able to get your investment back if you sell.
Reply to
Doug Kanter

I think you're both wrong.

You'll know more when you get your estimates, but I suspect the bump-out is going to consume a lot more than just 20K.

Reply to
Doug Miller

What are your objectives in redoing the kitchen? Thinking about this, discussing, and prioritizing might help you decide what's the best course of action.

e.g. more space, make working /eating in kitchen more efficient/pleasant, look better, have modern appliances, upping resale value.

Reply to
John W Gintell

Want to solve the debate? Stop arguing with her. All married men understand that it is pointless to argue with their wives. Even when you win, you lose.

Reply to
Andrew Neilson

First of all, is this house larger or smaller than the houses in your neighborhood. If smaller, making it larger may not be too bad of an idea. If it is larger, making it larger is probably a poor investment. Also, I doubt 20k will do much of anything when you start moving exterior walls. If you really need a larger kitchen, move; it'll be easier.

Reply to
Chris Hill

in my house.

not to taint the

Call all the contractors you can find. Get estimates on the whole job and as parts. Have an idea and stick to your budget. It took me 3 months to do it but work will be starting on my house soon for the amount of money I wanted to spend and I didn't have to bend too far in the compromise. Be patient and do research. If _you_ know what you're talking about, they can't trick you. The internet is a wonderful thing. And yes, there will be before and after pictures. Look for them in a couple months.

Reply to
Kathy

On 23 May 2005 06:31:07 -0700, "Jack" scribbled this interesting note:

A while back we did a small addition to a small frame home. An 11X14 room that included a walk in closet and a full bath for the master bedroom. Cost? (Remember, frame home so no expensive brick, etc.) Around $20,000.00 once all the pennies were added up.

Your $20,000.00 budget is way insufficient. $20,000.00 in a kitchen will just get you started. Add any kind of additional living space to the home and your cost will go up dramatically.

If you want a new kitchen, your budget will get you there if you're careful. If you want more living space in your home, you better start saving up 'cause you're going to need some additional funds!:~(

John Willis

FWIW my opinion is that "get your investment back" should be a low priority for a house that you are going to be living in. Everybody worries about their investment. But the major item is; Does it fit your needs/desires? The return on investment is a concern, but not necessarily the final decider.

Bill Gill

Reply to
Bill

I think he meant that that depended on the answer to number 1, which was, how long they were to be living there. If it's a long time, right, it's all about what you want to have/enjoy/use. If it's a short time (but I wonder about remodelling if it's a short time...), then resell would be a consideration.

But I basically agree - don't go building someone else's house.

Banty

Reply to
Banty

Agree. Materials alone is coming up to 20K + for my somewhat-upscale but small galley kitchen remodel. With some reasonable downgrades (regarding counter and tile mostly but I could also step back on lighting plans), I could fit it with labor into 20K if I really wanted to (upstate NY).

Adding on? Nope - not at that price. Whether or not it should be done at a realistic price is a whole 'nohter question. Depends on the why's and wherefores and how long in the house and what a different budget (if the whys and wherefores are important enough) are.

Banty

Reply to
Banty

I agree, but unless I had money to burn, I wouldn't put 20k into a kitchen, only to move out in 2 years. I love working in the kitchen, but there'd better be some kind of outrageous entertainment waiting for me there, or 10k per year ain't worth it. And, if there WERE sufficient entertainment to make a 20k/2 year investment worthwhile, it would involve loud music and ladies in g-strings. :-)

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Depends on what you are looking for in a kitchen. I know of one kitchen that cost more to remodel than my house is worth! Greg

Reply to
Greg O

The answer is simple: the wife is wrong and you should do what she recommends.

Reply to
HeyBub

The old married man rule of thumb applies.

Rule number 1. If she ain't happy, I ain't happy. Rule number 2. Go with rule number 1.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

In 1992, We spent $25,000.00 on a 600 sq. ft room addition. Included family room, mother-in-law bedroom, bath & walk-in closet. Also included 300 Sq. Ft back porch. (900 Sq. Ft. total.) Of course lumber and labor have gone up since then, but it depends on prices in your area. I live in Myrtle Beach, SC, those prices were right for my area. Your area may be cheaper or more expensive. Only the contractors can tell you. Get a couple of bids. I got 2 bids and went with the higher of the two..

PS It also included new roof for 1400 sq ft existig house and painting old part of the house. My house is frame on slab. I did the AC mods and plumbing myself.

Stretch

Reply to
Stretch

As an experienced professional who has a lifetime of remodelling , the answer is simple:

" Do it her way "

Nothing else really matters. You will understand the wisdom of this fully within 10 years after your project is completed.

Congratulations, newlyweds !!!

Andy

Reply to
Andy