Dowsing

Owain mentioned dowsing on the Drain flies thread. I've never heard of drain flies!
But has anyone here done dowsing?
Mary
|Owain mentioned dowsing on the Drain flies thread. I've never heard of drain |flies! | |But has anyone here done dowsing?
Yes long ago, Very strange things happened, but I was unable to produce consistent and repeatable results :-(
--
Dave Fawthrop <dave hyphenologist co uk> Google Groups is IME the *worst*
Dave Fawthrop wrote:

Don't be a tease - tell us what the strange things were. I like strange things.
cheers Jacob
Mary Fisher wrote:

Yes. Dead easy. Get two straight pieces of wire coat hanger and bend the ends down at right angles for about three inches. Hold the bent-down ends vertically in the centre of each hand that you 'make a fist'. do this losely so the rods are free to swing. ( you can cut two pieces of broomstick about 4" long and drill loose holes for the wires down the centre and hold these in your fists) With the straight ends of the wire pointing away from you and your arms fully extended start walking in the desired direction. When you cross a water pipe/drain etc the two rods will start swinging and will cross each other at the point of water.
The other week there were two guys in our street trying to trace an oil pipe with hi tech equipment. No deal. I got my rods out and showed them how to dowse. They got it bang on. They were a bit bemused and I had an enigmatic smile on my face.

I know HOW it's done, just wondered if folk here had.

:-)
Mary

I used to do it on the construction sites I used to manage. I also taught several colleagues how to do it. It isn't difficult, and it is certainly very useful.

Gosh! Better late than never :-)
Thanks.
Mary

Mary Fisher wrote:

There was a brief discussion yesterday on BBC R4, 3.45pm, In Drover's Boots; seems to be on the web: http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/atoz/index.shtml#i . The interviewee is vice-president or something of the UK Dowsing Assoc. Reckons that there is no point in a scientific explanation.
Best regards,
Jon C.

There isn't. We don't need a scientific explanation for how concrete sets or why water doesn't run uphill, we accept it. the explanation might be interesting ut isn't essential to the working of the system.
How many of us know exactly how all parts of our bodies work?
Mary

Oh, that's a simple one; nobody.
--
"Other people are not your property."
Mary Fisher wrote:

The reason why we accept that concrete sets without a scientific explanation is because it can be demonstrated.
Since dowsing cannot be demonstrated, there can be no kind of explanation, scientific or otherwise. It doesn't work.

But it doesn't work. That's the point.

Especially if you know (consciously or subconsciously) where the things you are dowsing for are.
In any properly controlled tests that have been done dowsing doesn't work.
--
Chris Green

snipped-for-privacy@isbd.co.uk wrote:

Don't knock that though...means of bring subconsciously 'known' facts to the conscious are VERY useful, and form perhaps the basis of most successful 'magic'..

No magic works in properly controlled tests. It seems to produce a mind set inimical to the operation of mechanisms to reflect the subconscious int the conscious..

Any good magician will tell you that of course! :-)
--
Chris Green

snipped-for-privacy@isbd.co.uk wrote:

I was a complete sceptic until I tried it. Until then, I believed it was hokum.
We were starting work on a site that had been covered with brick hardcore and scalpings (quarry waste) and there was no sign of any services. After 5 minutes' tuition I managed to locate two electricity cables, a water main and two sets of telephone ducts within an hour and a half. The locations were extremely accurate, within half a metre or less.
I have never managed to use dowsing to locate water, which I think is where most of the doubts arise. But it is remarkably effective, even in the hands of a sceptic like me, for locating underground services.
I have used it many times since and it has never let me down. But that's probably because I work well within its limitations.

I bet if you did a proper double-blind test it wouldn't work. In fact there is already such a bet available, I think you can win $1000000 if you can show that you really can dowse. James Randi has had an offer of this amount outstanding for many years and no one has won it.
Is it worth a bit of your time for $100000?
--
Chris Green

I wouldn't. But I don't bet on anything.

It wouldn't attract me.
I wonder why James Randi (never heard of him) is doing it? What point is there?
Mary

Mary Fisher wrote:
> We don't need a scientific explanation for how concrete sets or > why water doesn't run uphill, we accept it. the explanation might be > interesting ut isn't essential to the working of the system. > > How many of us know exactly how all parts of our bodies work?
<ahem> a contemporary of mine did a PhD on how concrete sets: I believe his results had an impact on the industry.

C'mon, Mary, keep up. He was mentioned in both the earlier threads on Dowsing (one of which you started). OTOH considering the huge number of silly posts, you might have got tired of reading, and who can blame you. There might be a point if the experiment could actually be done, but I suspect it can't (since "doing an experiment" entails a specific mind-set which is likely to be inimical to whatever-it-is that achieves dowsing (if it does)).
Douglas de Lacey

That's one :-)

Sorry for unfinished post, my personal person from Porlock interrupted ...

As I said, that's one. But we all accept that concrete does set without thinking about it. Well, some of us might think we know, I used to, but it's always more complicated and less easily proved than we think.

Indeed.
I'm sure you're right ...
Mary