Dowsing

Well put. That happened to me recently when I came across an artic in the ditch just over the brow of a hill. I can distinctly remember thinking as I approached the brow that I had no idea what was on the other side. It seemed a bit spooky at the time but your explanation makes perfect sense. Nothing to do with expecting other drivers to be idiots in this case, though.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

You lot obviously aren't keeping up with the physics - there is a new theory that says that at a scale much smaller than that at which quantum effects manifest themselves there are deterministic principles - what appears as quantum uncertainty would be predictable if you were able to observe these states, implying that though you may think that the aliveness or deadness of the cat is indeterminate until you open the box (although I'm sure it was once said that the only certainty is it will be an angry cat), but if the new theory is true the outcome is totally predestined, and if you had perfect knowledge of the state of everything at any moment, you could predict the outcome before thebox is opened. See this week's New Scientist for details!

Andy McKenzie

I'd be happy to get this group up to New Scientist issue 1! ;-)

Reply to
John Cartmell

I'm shocked, surely all good DIYers would read New Scientist, where else would you get the inspiration for quantum-DNA-hadron-quasar water hardness eliminators made out of the interior of a washing machine and some stick-back plastic. I thought that was what DIY was for?

Andy

Reply to
Andy McKenzie

Empty BIC tubes make good 'bearings' to stick the wires through (and hold upright in each hand)

Reply to
Jim Scott

The message from "Andy McKenzie" contains these words:

Sadly this group is sometimes in danger of becoming uk.g-a-l-m-i.

Reply to
Guy King

Spooky indeed eh .. ;-)

I'm especially cautious / aware when motorcycling alomg the country lanes .. sort of expecting every blind bend to reveal a combine harvester across the entire road .. ;-(

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

No, but you could not be wronger

You are assuming that the entity you refer to as 'cat' will only change in response to external input and that that input will be totally screened off by the 'sealed box'

Both are potentially erroneous, the first totally so

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not sure how you can say that with such assurance about someone else..

In one case, it was such a bizarre experience,that there is no way I would have not remembered it irrespective of whether it had panned out in a particular way or not.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I have slowed down on 'feeling' so many times only to find a reason round the next bend that I simply don't even think twice about it any more.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I doubt doubt the present readership of New Scientist are, on average, as advanced as he readership of Issue 1 (1958)

Reply to
DJC

I doubt if they've all had the same encounter with 'silly putty'!

Reply to
John Cartmell

It *is* a cat.

I'm not assuming anything. You just don't get it. Read again, and ditch any ideas you may have about theoretical experiments.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

He's not philosophising, just being pedantic about the tense.

Reply to
marvelous

There's a difference between being skilled and having fundamental theoretical understanding. Try explaining a semiconductor to a 1910's boffin (ie before the discovery of the electron). He would think you were a madman from the future.

john2

Reply to
john2

Then he should have said

"When you put the cat in,it WAS in the same state as when you put it in"

The use of "when", implies a past tense..the use of "Is" implies a present tense.

I cannot be responsible for his inability to construct a grammatically correct sentence, one has to do ones best with poor and sloppy constructions, and assume that the split tenses imply two different times..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The first few maybe, the bulk seem to be individuals listing their services.

I searched on the keyword "dowsing" - it just lists them under water diviners.

Reply to
John Rumm

I let my subscription lapse... its got pretty dire these days ;-((

Reply to
John Rumm

How does it? When was, when is, when will ...

Reply to
Rob Morley

You should direct your remarks to "marvelous", since he said I was "just being pedantic about the tense", which I wasn't. If you want to work out what I meant, though, you would be right to consider time. However, you'll have to go back up the thread a bit to get to what I said.

Reply to
Chris Bacon