Dowsing

So you have now provided evidence that dowsing can't find water as it is all over your property at the same depth as your well (the well wouldn't have any water in if it wasn't). But you claim it can find brick work.

Its far more likely that the dowser noticed the boards covering the well than the dowsing actually detecting anything.

One of you has some sense then.

Reply to
dennis

Very uncharitable D@ You are getting a right miserable old bugger.

Reply to
EricP

Not at all.I was looking for a WELL on a map. Wells aren't always brick lined.

There weren't any.You really shouldn't make assumptions:-) Your belief systems areshowing...

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I've heard that too. I've never felt the need to test it.

Quite.

Shakespeare (that Tudor hack) hit the nail on the head - there are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I was just wondering how much Mary was willing to bet on it! ;-)

Reply to
John Cartmell

I hadn't thought of that. Maybe it would detect Mr. P., or others of his ilk. YKwhoIM.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

I didn't say whether I believed in it or not, simply that I knew someone who claimed a great deal of success using the the technique.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Naughty Dennis, you'll be "plonked", you will! Then you'll be sorry - erm - won't you?

Reply to
Chris Bacon

fantasising or lieing or simply deranged. We all know nutters like that

- some of them very plausible.

cheers Jacob

Reply to
owdman

I would not describe as a lier, a nutter or even a fantasiser. He is a well studied gentleman who has a great deal of respect in his local area, for both his knowledge and his dowsing ability.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Yes. There are some on this group.

Reply to
Mary Fisher

It has never been proven that it does work. All tests attempting to establish this have failed to reach this conclusion.

You could receive $1m by being the first to prove it. Why pass that up ?

eh ?

Reply to
Geronimo W. Christ Esq

That is true. Carl Sagan put it well : "extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof".

It works both ways round.

There are several theories on Wikipedia about why it appears to work, sometimes. In practice under controlled conditions it seldom works.

Reply to
Geronimo W. Christ Esq

You would only say that if you didn't really believe that it worked. It sounds like you think it was more down to chance.

Anyone who believes it really does work could be a million dollars richer by demonstrating it under test conditions.

As others in the thread have said, there is water everywhere, it is a matter how deep you dig.

Reply to
Geronimo W. Christ Esq

You're asking why would someone want to win a million bucks ?

Reply to
Geronimo W. Christ Esq

It would be easy to judge whether it worked or not, if we defined what "working" actually meant.

If you drill deep enough in any random patch of ground you'll eventually hit the water table. You'll do that without doing any dowsing. So precisely what "works" ?

Reply to
Geronimo W. Christ Esq

The reason why dowsing appears to work is well understood. On the other hand, the reason why people persist in believing something which is demonstrably nonsense is not.

On the contrary, the workings of most parts of the human body are well understood.

There is no evidence against dowsing. There is a total absence of verifiable evidence showing that it works. That is the problem.

I'm not arguing with dowsing, merely asking for evidence that it works. To date none exists. The fact that $1m is up for grabs and still no-one can prove that it works suggests that there are major problems with the concept.

Reply to
Geronimo W. Christ Esq

Really now. How did you establish that ?

Reply to
Geronimo W. Christ Esq

Mary, what do beliefs have to do with it ? This is not religion or faith.

Nobody has ever shown that dowsing works despite the fact that in doing so, they stand to gain $1m.

Reply to
Geronimo W. Christ Esq

Homepathy doesn't work, and neither does acupuncture. Believing that it does won't change that.

Reply to
Geronimo W. Christ Esq