Surreal Borg Experience

We all have had less than satisfactory products and services from a big box store. What happened last night was not particularly bad as much as it was surreal. Ya know, strange, werid, etc.

I needed to pick up a couple of items last night. I would have probably put it off for a couple days but a padlock died and needed to be replaced right away. So I venture into the borg to pick up my items. I got them, put them in my cart and then went to the section that had the padlocks.

They had all kinds of cheap, small padlocks. And many big enough to tie up a battleship. But almost nothing of a medium size that I wanted. And the medium sizes were either out of stock or came in sets of three or four. The other interesting thing is that the locks all sported new packaging. They were actually locked onto a strong peice of plastic. (more on this later) After making somebody check stock and climb up on a ladder, we came to a decision on a lock that would probably work for me.

I put the lock in my cart and head to the checkout stand. I get up front and discover that the only checkout stands available are the self service ones. I push the english button on the screen and a voice starts giving me instructions. As someone who has hearing problems, I knew this was not going well.

At his point a young man, who apparently works there to support a drug habit, comes running up geturing wildly and berating me for "not following instructions". I inform him that as someone who is hearing challenged, I do not respond well to squeaky electronic voices. Also if he wanted to communicate with me he had to stop waving his arms about and speak clearly enough for me to understand him.

He looked at me like I was retarded and ran back to his station and produced a portable scanner and scanned everything in my cart. Then he frantically pointed at the screen and yelled for me to make payment. I produced a gift card and asked if the machine took them. He shouted no and snatched the card from my hand.

Then he played with the card for awhile including producing a swithblade type knife from his pocked to scrape some imaginary substance off the card. Finally the card got processed and the machine wants more money. I tried to give the money to him but apparently they don't trust him with money. I went back to the terminal and put in two twenties. Then I waited, and waited, and waited....., for my change.

First a trickle of coins dribbled into a small cup that I was barely able to get the money out of. But no bills The machine owed me $13 and I didn't see it. I searched for a bill dispenser on this infernal machine. Then the whacko kid started gesturing wild at me again and pointing at the floor. I looked on the floor, but no money. He kept pointing and I finally figured out that he bill dispenser was located about ankle level. I bent over and picked out my money bill by bill because it too was too small to put my hand in it.

As I left (fled) the oplace, the whaco kid was juggling a number of rolls of tape. Duct tape, masking tape, packaging tape, etc. He tossed them into the air and could keep a number of them going. He couldn't check me out. But he could yell at me and practice his juggling.

When driving home I kept thinking that this could not get more unreal. I got into the garage and got out the padlock. I tried to open it, no luck. I tried to cut it open with a utility knife. Not only was I unsuccessful, but almost cut an artery. Way too dangerous.

I concluded that he only safe tool to use on this hard plastic lock display was diagonol cutters. It took several cuts and finally a sharp piece of plastic shot off the cutters and almost hit me in the eye! I didn't realize that you had to wear safety glasses to break into a padlock package!

Also, the key does not have a hole in the top of the key to hang it on a ring. Instead it has a large, long hole on the side of the key. That way the key hangs sideways and takes up about three times as much room in your pocket. It also digs into your leg.This afternoon, I am going to drill a regular hole in the top of the key. so it will go onto my keyring and not make a mess. Werid keys, bulletproof packaging, What will they think of next?

It wasn't the worst experience I have had with a big box store. But probably the most surreal in a long time. I kept looking for sign that I was drugged. I was fine. It was the other guys who were obviously stoned.

You friendly neighborhood curmudgeon, Lee

Reply to
Lee Michaels
[snip major sniveling]

Geez! ...sucks to be you. Maybe you can convince whackman to beat-up somebody.

nb

Reply to
notbob

[snip]

Dang, that was indeed a fun visit to Hell Depot.

My complaints with that place all revolve around service, not the products themselves. A manager can deal with a substandard employee a lot easier than with an entire product line. So I have to ask, did you tell your story to the management of the company? They're the ones who need to hear it. The Contact Us section at homedepot.com has an 800 number and an e-mail form. My wife has contacted them a couple of times (I'm usually too steamed at HD to be trusted with such a task) and been issued discount coupons or something as a result, maybe it's worthwhile for you to give that a try.

Reply to
DGDevin

FIY there is a tool designed to open the welded plastic product containers. The tool typically has orange handles and they are similar to offset tin snips. I got mine at HD for about $10.

Reply to
Leon

IIRC, you gave me the ones I have, right?

Reply to
Swingman

IIRC, you gave me the ones I have, right?

Reply to
Swingman

No hardware stores in your area?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

"Lew Hodgett" wrote

Yep, one right up the street. But none open at that hour. I needed a padlock last night and the borg was the only thing open.

I am going up to that hardware store today or tomorrow to get some fasteners. They cost less and are higher quality than home depot.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

On Dec 28, 10:44=A0am, "Lee Michaels" wrote: [all-too-familiar-rant snipped for brevity's sake]

An impact gun, a flashlight and a multi-tool. All in a case, Lithium Ion 2aH Bosch... good deal. BUT.. I already have the Fein albeit corded. So I scare up a HD employee, because I want to see his collection of replacement blades for the Bosch multi-tools. *I* want to see them because I want to make sure that the blades can be used either on the Fein AND the Bosch."Well, sir, we don't carry the blades." "Ohhhhkaaayyy.. you sell the tool, but not the attachments.....?" "Rona sells them." (Another big box store chain up here in Kanuckistan) "That's a bit silly don't you think there young fella?"... and I stood there staring into the vacuum of his eyes. After a few Ren & Stimpy grade blinks, he tried to explain this. I walked away, shaking my head...

I'm still no wiser when it comes to who-fits-who in the buzzer-tool bizniz. Guess I best do some DAGSing then. (Or somebody's done that already?)

Reply to
Robatoy

"Leon" wrote

I'll check it out. Thanks for the heads up.

I am not sure that would have worked on this thing though. It was very thick and solid. The padlock was locked around a heavy chunk of plastic. I was trying to free the keys so I could unlock the padlock. I think that is why the key hole is on the side. It allowed for this kind of packaging. There was some kind of plastic fastener or rivet holding the keys in position in their own little holder. It took several cuts just to free the keys. Once the keys were free though, it was a simple matter to unlock the padlock and remove it.

When I think about it, you have a design that is wholly determined by packaging. It looks pretty hanging there in the store. The safety hazards to open it or the ability to put the key on a normal key ring was unimportant to them. Another case of marketing getting in the way of function and safety.

I also find it significant that there are lots of three and four padlocks in one package. And very few singles in this size. They run sales on the singles. Those disappear fast. And folks show up wanting to get a single and having to buy multiple locks because they are out of the singles.

Do you ever get the feeling that you get screwed everytime you go to that place???

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Reply to
Pat Barber

"Robatoy" wrote

An impact gun, a flashlight and a multi-tool. All in a case, Lithium Ion 2aH Bosch... good deal. BUT.. I already have the Fein albeit corded. So I scare up a HD employee, because I want to see his collection of replacement blades for the Bosch multi-tools. *I* want to see them because I want to make sure that the blades can be used either on the Fein AND the Bosch."Well, sir, we don't carry the blades." "Ohhhhkaaayyy.. you sell the tool, but not the attachments.....?" "Rona sells them." (Another big box store chain up here in Kanuckistan) ============================

Yep, and it can become a real problem. I used to be able to run up the street and buy any consumable for almost any tool. Not any more. I have met many folks in the trades who have trouble getting consumables at a reasonable price.

I have some angle grinders. And it is almost impossible to get the wire brushes for them. I finally found some for a reasonable price on ebay. I can buy the grinding disks almost anywhere. But no wire bruses. And anybody who welds or works with metal uses the wire brushes often. In fact many metal fabricators I have met have multiple angle grinders with the different abrasive disks and wire brushes on them. That way they don't waste time changing disks/wire brushes.

Another problem with them not selling the consumables is there is a lot less competition. So the price is higher

Reply to
Lee Michaels

"Pat Barber" wrote

Leon mentioned that these are available at home depot. I will check it out. One of the reviews at Amazon says that it is cheaper at home depot.

Thanks for the heads up Pat.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

On the other hand...

It's gotten so that I can barely bring myself to take the time to go to the hardware store/lumber yard that my family has done business with for 60+ years. Why? My last three trips exemplify why: they've stopped carrying lines that I've used for years (e.g., Minwax, Woodlife), have holes in the displays were the item I need should be (e.g., 2 1/2" hole saw), or their prices, even with my trade discount run 20-40% more than the Borg ($22 for the same hole saw HD sells for $13.xx--glad they didn't have the 2 1/2" saw when I saw that!). They've gone down scale with the brands/quality for many items too... used to have Milwaukee and Porter Cable and now have Skill and Black and Decker. Years ago the help was helpful... now they are clerks are on par with the typical mall store. I'm still dismayed by the time I took dowels to the counter, from the display across from the counter, and the clerk asked me what they were...

Home Depot and Lowe's on the other hand have generally had what I needed the past few years and the help was helpful--experienced retired tradesmen. When I told the guy I needed a double gang old work box but the shelf was empty he not only knew what I was asking for but knew where the back up stock was on the high shelve. Sad to say the Borg experience has become a better experience compared to the hardware store where they formerly wrote up my order without having to ask for my name, I signed for the stuff and walked out--now I seldom see the same clerk twice outside of the lumber desk and they can never seem to find my account in the computer.

If I drive about six miles past HD and Lowe's and go across the toll bridge there is a good locally owned store. I bought a lot of stuff there over the years... especially stuff like pumice, shellac, Hardi Plank siding, 21' lengths of gutter, scaffolding planks, and other things that are not available or difficult to buy at the BORG. An example of BORG difficulty in purchasing was the time I needed a joining kit to gang up a couple double hung Anderson windows. Special ordering the ganged up window was about $220 more than taking two stock units and joining them with a $25 kit (though I did have to make the wood joint trim) but the experience took me two trips and about 2 hours... an hour and 35 minutes of it standing in lines to pick up the special order. Should have driven the extra 12 miles for that purchase!

I'm afraid the 100+ year old store has lost it's competitive advantages over the past 20 years. It's now a good place to buy bird seed and household knickknacks but not so good for hardware, tools, or building materials... Sad state of affairs.

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

IIRC I did. Is it by your missing saddle square? LOL

Reply to
Leon

Actually this is it..... It is pretty heavy duty. The trick is to cut just inside the weld on the package but it will cut just about anywhere on the package.

Leon

This is it, works well.

DGDevin

SNIP.

Reply to
WW

On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 18:03:09 -0600, the infamous "Leon" scrawled the following:

didn't have to get too close to her sewing any more.) opened a clamshell very easily. I was stunned.

"I believe that sex is one of the most beautiful, natural, wholesome things that money can buy." --Tom Clancy

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 15:10:03 -0500, the infamous "Lee Michaels" scrawled the following:

>>Leon mentioned that these are available at home depot. I will check it out.

With two sharp ends, that thing looks like an accident waiting to happen. When you pick it up with the razor knife out and try to cut something and then lay it down, look out!