Suggestions for 15" planner please.....

Hello:

Thanks for your time.

I'm getting ready to purchase a 15" planner. I'm looking seriously at the Powermatic. I've seen it for anywhere from 999.00 to 1249.00 on the net. But, I am open to other suggestions at this point. If you have and like a particular planner, please let me know. It would be nice to have enough left to get a dust control system also, but 1500 is all I have.

So, thanks for any suggestions.

Richard Hollingsworth

Reply to
Richard Holliingsworth

sounds like you have a busy schedule. I get by just fine with a palm pilot.

you might consider a software product. this one looks like it might be good:

If you have

the palm os is pretty widely supported and has lots of happy users.

Reply to
Bridger

Richard I'm also looking for a 15" planer. I've been to Wilke Machinery (they're about 5 miles from my house). They carry Bridgewood and Yorkcraft. I've looked at both of them - the Bridgewood is about $1200. The Yorkcraft is about $700. I think they both need to have a mobile base added, and an extra set of knives.

One of the nice features of the Bridgewood is that the table is stationary, and the head moves. With that feature, I can add a longer infeed and outfeed extension. The price of the Yorkcraft is certainly good.

I've also looked at the Grizzley catalogue. I've seen various posts where people really swear by the Grizzley, but there have been some posts about poor customer service from Griz -

I still need to do some more research on Google for reviews - have you done any Google searches? I'd also like to test the Yorkcraft and Bridgewood - I think they'll let me if I take some wood in.

If you find any more information, please post it - I'll do the same.

Nick B

Reply to
Nick Bozovich

You really need a DC with a stationary planer. You will find that the chips will occasionally get mashed into the surface of your work if you don't have one. You can get both a good 15" stationary planer and a decent dust collector for your $1500 from Grizzly, including shipping. For example, their 15" G1021Z is $995+$125 shipping, and their 2HP collector (G1029Z) is $260+$55 shipping, for a total of $1435. I can't speak for their 15" but I have had their 20" planer (G1033) for years and it has been fantastic. If your budget is really tight, remember that you'll need 220V wiring sufficient for 3HP for your planer and 2HP or so for your DC.

Tim Carver snipped-for-privacy@twocarvers.com

Reply to
Tim Carver

Check out the WoodMaster 18in industrial planner, on special you can find them for around $1200

John

Reply to
John Crea

Since the Woodmaster is mostly bent sheet metal, will it work as well as the imports that are mostly cast iron?

The current pricing special is $1,600. Do they really get down to $1200 from time to time?

Brian Elfert

Reply to
Brian Elfert

Important parts on the Woodmaster ARE cast iron or heavy steel. Just the outer SHELL is sheet metal, and that really doesn't have anything to do with the functionality

I got mine on sale for approx $1200, so the answer is yes, they REALLY get down to around $1200 on sale. So far (approx 5months since I got it), it has worked flawlessly, and I am very happy with it.

John

Reply to
John Crea

$1249 is way too much to pay for powermatic 15". Preformance Tool here in Michigan had 20" powermatic on sale for $1299.00 last fall. If i'm not mistaken, they have 15" powermatic planer/molder for around $900 right now, but i could be mistaken. keep shopping. i'll bet you can you could find 20" PM around for $1300-$1400. A jet DC-1100 is only about $270. two pretty damn good pieces of equipment darn near in your price range. Try grizzly or yorkraft, too. good machines at very good prices.

Reply to
RemodGuy