How to level edge banding?

I am making a chest lid out of plywood; the first time I have used plywood where the edges are exposed.

I put a 1/4" strip on the front and back. There I used a flush edge router bit and had no problems.

The sides will be 1 1/4" wide. How do I trim those down? A hand plane? I have one, but it is a piece of junk. Any other options?

Reply to
Toller

Get the top as close to flush as you can, erring on the side of sitting a smidge high. If high, use a cabinet scraper to take it down. The underside - just ease any sharp edge with sandpaper. If you're really a details person chamfer the overhanging indside edge with a shoulder plane - edge on the ply side flush with the edge of the plane. Then chisel or chisel plane towards the corners where the shoulder plane can't reach.

Reply to
charlie b

I would get it close then go to a scraper then sandpaper....mjh

Reply to
Mike Hide