Edge Banding Tiplets?

Tried my first attempt at hot-melt, pre-glued edge banding some plywood. Not very happy with the results. Still some visible gaps/cracks no matter how may times I reheat and slide it around. I applied it after carcase assembly.

Wondering if Tiplet #1 is to apply before glue up? Any one share some thoughts on using this stuff?

Tip #2 might be - skip the little knife trimmer and use a flush trim bit in a small router. At least the little knife edger didn't work all that well for me...

thanks - patrick

Reply to
patrick conroy

Almost all tape should be applied "before" assembly.

You also need some VERY clean edges to apply tape to. A rough surface of plywood is tough to put tape on.

There are also various grades(surprise) of iron-on tape with various grades of glue. Where did you get your tape ???(maybe Home Depot or Lowes)

The knife trimmer(Virutex) is c> Tried my first attempt at hot-melt, pre-glued edge banding some plywood. Not

Reply to
Pat Barber

Apply it before assembly, and be sure to get properly sized veneer tape, ie, larger than your material thickness by a goodly amount. I use a double-sided knife trimmer that works great as long as I pinch it together firmly enough as I run it down the stock.

Then I take a sharp low-angle block plane to the edge: several shallow passes to ease the edges, finishing with a felt block with 220g paper. Properly done, you can't feel any edges with your fingertips.

Kim

Reply to
Kim Whitmyre

Thanks for the confirmation. Guess these cabinets will be *mine* :)

Woodcraft - "BandIt" was the box name, IIRC. Glueing seems to be fine - once adhered it stix.

Reply to
patrick conroy

Reply to
patrick conroy

I have used some of that product and the one I used was sized at 3/4" which "will" cover a 3/4" of plywood but you have to be "perfect" on the installation to get a "good" edge. I prefer the edging that is 7/8" and you trim it down to the size you need.

C>>Almost all tape should be applied "before" assembly.

Reply to
Pat Barber

I just did my first edgebanding. It came out perfectly, after a while.

I tried trimming with a knife and a file, and both were miserable failures. I then tried a router. It was neat and consistant, but just a hair high. I cleaned it up with a file and some 150 sandpaper.

I don't expect to do enough of it to justify a special tool, so I will stick with router/file/sandpaper. I had no problems with gaps or cracks, eventhough I was not particularly careful to have a perfect surface; so unless your surface was really bad, I would just suggest you practice.

Reply to
John