Edge banding plywood

What thickness do you 'typically' use when edge banding plywood (3/4") with solid stock?

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

The last time I did this, the exposed part of the banding was only

1/4" thick. However, the plywood had a 1/2" x 1/2" groove routed in it, so the actual size of the banding was 3/4" x 3/4". Think of a big tongue-and-groove - very strong and easy to apply (less clamping was needed since the banding was less flexible).

If you can get stock a little thicker than the ply, and sand or scrape it (or even trim router it) flush, you may end up with a better match.

Reply to
DJ Delorie

1/4x13/16"

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

Any thickness you want, depending on how you want it to look. A blanket chest I made a few years ago called for 3".

Reply to
Toller

'typically' use when edge banding plywood (3/4")

for 3/4" ply, I generally like to go either as thin as I can (make it disappear) or else a little bit over 1". I think 1-1/4" or so looks sharp as an edge for horizontal surfaces like tabletops and shelves.

Reply to
bridgerfafc

Well, wood tape (veneer, actually) works well with either contact cement or with white glue (PVA). For white glue, paint the edge and veneer, let dry, then iron-on to make the attachment. I've heard of edge-banding with a commercial product that has hotmelt glue already on the tape, but haven't tried that.

I'm also toying with cutting a V profile in the plywood, then glueing a triangle strip (45-45-90 degree triangle ripped from an edge of a board). It's comfortably wider than the plywood, easy to trim neatly with router or even hand-planes. Cutting the plywood and clamping the strip in place are slightly challenging, though.

Reply to
whit3rd

To hide the grain, I go 1/4". That is thick enough to countersink the nail and putty.

Reply to
Leon