Not really woodworking related, but of all my haunts, I could think of no
better place than this to share this object lesson in the value of not
having one's head up one's ass.
Had the hedge trimmer out with my super long, expensive, dedicated outdoor
power tool chord. I was letting my boy have a shot at using the thing, to
get the kid away from that stupid Pokemon game for a few minutes.
He had a bit of trouble, so I took the trimmer back and started showing him
how to use the thing. So zip, zip, zip, crap. I cut the chord. The super
long, expensive, dedicated outdoor power tool chord.
Conventional wisdom says never splice an extension chord back together, but
I figured what the hell, it will be OK long enough for me to finish this
job. The chord was plugged into a power strip in my shed, um, my workshop,
so I went in and cut it off. Lights went off. Fan went off. Power was
So I got out in the yard, sat down "Indian style" (*), whipped out my handy
dandy multi-tool doodad, and set about patching the thing back together. I
cut what was left of the wires, then started stripping off the sheathing,
so I could get to the insulation.
I felt a little prickle, but the power strip was off, so I figured I must
have just poked myself on one of the stray bits of wire. I decided to test
this theory by using my uninsulated steel multi-tool gadget to
intentionally ground out the wires, and prove to myself that I hadn't felt
the previous tingle.
To perform this task, I chose the knife blade, since that was what was
So I shocked the piss out of myself (not quite literally), screamed like
some dizzy blonde in a horror movie (it's really quite embarrassing how
much I sound like a complete pussy when something takes me by surprise and
causes me to vocalize before I've had a chance to summon up my manly voice)
and stabbed myself in the leg with my knife all in the blink of an eye. I
was so, well, shocked that I didn't even notice the stab wound right away.
Should have pulled the plug out of the socket, huh? I guess the power strip
has a bad switch or something. One thing for damn sure is that the power
wasn't completely off!
So to make up for behaving like such a sissy, I walked around on it until I
had lost a good half pint of blood, and had left bloody footprints all over
the place while I finished the job of trimming the stupid hedges.
My next hedge trimmer is going to be gas powered.
(*) I guess we have to say "Native American style" now, huh?
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan < firstname.lastname@example.org>
Linux fanatic, and certified Geek; registered Linux user #243621
Click to see the full signature.