Stocking Stuffer

With all the talk about tool purchases lately, WWW closings its doors, sales at HD and Loews I just had to do something to relieve the stress of it all.....

We have a new HF store in the area and I dropped by to see what everyone was talking about. Had a good look around, touchy-feely and listened to a couple of the sales people talk to customers. One lady customer asked "Where are the DeWalt drills, like the one in the display case?". (reply) "We don't sell DeWalt, we have a much better brand....".

Nooooo... I didn't let her get reeled in - did my good deed for the day... and I didn't get to ask why they have some name brand tools in the case that they don't sell. I did note that the brand name items they did stock (tape, glue, sandpaper,etc.) that you could find at other stores were priced higher than the borgs. Obviously these were placed right next to their brands at about 25% lower cost.

But I did make a purchase which you may want to check out as a stocking stuffer. They have a 6" Digital Caliper for $20, item 47257 with a CEN-TEC name on the box and the caliper is made in China, (hey ya weren't expecting Starret for $20 were ya).

Neat toy, and a lot easier to read than my other calipers. It even comes with a spare 1.5v button battery and it looks very similar to others I've seen on the net going for $40+. Not saying its good, bad or indifferent - you make that call, but for the price, I don't think you can complain. The body is stainless steel - not plastic. The case housing the LCD is plastic but appears rugged enough to handle normal shop abuse. I tested it against my 1/2" x 4" reference (blank piece of drill rod) and get the same readings on all calipers so its no worse than what I've been using and the spec sheet say's it has .001 accuracy. Also can be changed to read in metric or inch.

Bob S.

Reply to
Bob S.

Had a similar/same one. After a couple/few months the display with Tango Uniform. I got to wondering, if I replaced it, and then replaced that one, rinse/repeat, when would I be better off having bought a good one?

Not ball busting mind you, just giving a heads up.

Now, having said all that, I do use on an almost daily (those days I'm in the shop) basis a plastic dial caliper made once upon a time by General (also badged by Sears) that breaks down into 1/64's and the dial is big enough to split a 64th. (that would be 1/128" Leon). I've had the one since back before Norm had a wooddorking show and it performs the same today as it did then. One thing I do like about it over a digital is I can readily extrapolate what a 1/4" plus is and how it relates to the task at hand. My mind isn't at that place where I can do the same with .25664. Don't get me wrong, I can decimal equivalent my 16ths just fine and dandy, just that I do it best when I have the dial for reference.

Now, having said that, I do/did like the digital for use with machine maintenance and set-ups, i.e., metal working like tasks.

UA100, wishing he could find a digital in between the Starrett and the Chiwanese, Doesn'LastTooLong type...

Reply to
Unisaw A100

Boy did you get taken Keefer.......mine came with that HF Lifetime guarandamntee....;-)

If'n I don't like it, I can take it back for a replacement at any time. Now, admittedly, I didn't stop to read the 3 pages of 4pt type exclusions they listed (like who's life, what life and BADs get a life) but what the hey.....I can alway's chuck it thru their front window some late night if it decides to go belly up. Mine even came with a computer data port (true...) in case I ever want to hook it up to this box. Course, the cable costs $84.95, then a coupla hundred probably for the software and then I gotta figure out what to do with it.

And you're still using that plastic thingy......jeeeezuss Keefer, no wonder your boards are coming out at .75126198 instead of .75 and I thought you were using some precison tools. The things ya learn just when ya least expect it.....

As for finding one in the middle price range - remind me to teach ya on how to do a search on the net and how to save those url's for future refence sometime - ok...

Bob S.

Reply to
Bob S.

I went to the Woodbridge store too, picked up the 55 Lbs anvil for $30. Nothing fancy, but it saves my banging on the furniture. SWMBO will appreciate that. Hehehe. Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
dave