Steel Toe Boots

I've taken a job with a stair shop that mostly makes curved staircases and I'll be spending some time on their shop floor. They want anyone on the floor to wear steel toe shoes. I haven't had a pair of them in over twenty five years. Never cared for them, really. Thought they made your toes extra cold in the winter.

Anyways, I need to buy a pair and I'm clueless about who might be making the good ones these days. I've been wearing cross trainer sneaks for the last ten years or so in deference to my barky knees. They still bark so I need shoes that will help me out with that. The work is inside, so they don't need to be insulated boots, just something that will help me with my knee problem and address the steel toe safety issue.

If any of you guys have opinions on this I'd be happy to hear them.

tom

Reply to
Tom Watson

Red Wing

Rocky

Nova

There are a number of companies making safety boots that use plastic or titanium instead of steel. Lighter and less chilly in winter. Some of them look like light hiking boots rather than big stompers.

As for helping with the knees, you might want to try a "real" shoe store, the kind that deals with orthopedic inserts and such. They may have some recommendations.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

> and Rocky

and look into orthotics for your knee problems

Reply to
charlie

I work on concrete all day in Red Wings. Steel toes with smooth soles made for a shop floor. They're great boots with "good" support - but I'm definitely going to get myself some custom footbeds before long. (Right after the new router, slot mortiser, F45, etc...)

Seriously though - custom footbeds should really help you. I've always had them for ski boots and they're like night and day. I gotta figure it's the same for work boots.

Good luck with the new job!

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

"Tom Watson" wrote

RedWing were always tops in my farrier youth (pull-on boot), but I suspect that has changed since my knees have somehow got a couple years older than I' am.

Sticking to recent personal experience:

The Rockler steel toe shoe, purchased about 1/2 size bigger and fitted with an orthotic "sof sol" insert, look identical to my "old man" Rockport "dress" shoes, and are as comfortable, which is real comfortable.

I can attest to that because I've worn them by accident and didn't know the difference (the older you get, the more it pays to look down before you leave the house in the morning to make sure your shoes match).

Reply to
Swingman

've been wearing something similar to 6633 for several years, made by Totectors in Northampton (UK), I've had about three pair. I find them very comfortable, never had a problem with cold feet, and they lasted around three or four years of continuous use.

Not as pricey though, I paid around 26 pounds (around $50) a pair.

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

Heehehehe, that mismatch happened just the other day to this guy i know.. down the street,,, but i, ermm , I mean, HE noticed before he got in the van... And, yup, they were rockies too. Angela bought me 3 pair at Birch Run MI (Just nort of Flint) at a Rockport factory outlet. For a steel toed work boot, I have a couple of pair of Doc Martins. VERY comfortable and they last and last and are always in style. *S*. I wear steel toes with pleasure as I cannot imagine what would happen to my dance steps if I were to drop a 400 pound engineered stone island on my tootsies.

Sooo, TOM!!.. look into Doc Martins. Highly recommended. You'd never know you're wearing steel toes. I have orthotics in all my shoes. Those virtually cured my back pains.

Reply to
Robatoy

Tom, I've got a pair of Red Wing boots that I'm happy with. Comfortable, not too heavy, they last forever, and I haven't personally noted any cold toes in the winter. But I wear insulated socks in the winter.

I've also got a pair of steel toe motorcycle boots, but "these boots are NOT made for walking." With or without the steel toes :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Heehehehe, that mismatch happened just the other day to this guy i know.. down the street,,, but i, ermm , I mean, HE noticed before he got in the van... And, yup, they were rockies too. Angela bought me 3 pair at Birch Run MI (Just nort of Flint) at a Rockport factory outlet. For a steel toed work boot, I have a couple of pair of Doc Martins. VERY comfortable and they last and last and are always in style. *S*. I wear steel toes with pleasure as I cannot imagine what would happen to my dance steps if I were to drop a 400 pound engineered stone island on my tootsies.

Reply to
charlie

"Robatoy" wrote\

Thing is, every time I've tried Dr Martin's on I've this uncontrollable urge to spike my hair and wear black! ;)

Reply to
Swingman

"Robatoy" wrote

Try a 1200 lb quarter horse using both his tootsies, and yours, to "Waltz Across Texas". I hated it when that happened ... there are way too damn many bones in two feet!

Reply to
Swingman

I used to have a pair of Colorado brand low-rise work boots that were so comfy I wore them as street shoes. But that was 15 years ago, today they're probably made in China and might be anything but comfy. The MIC Coleman steel-toes I bought not long ago for rebuilding our garage are brutal even with gel inserts. If there is a specialty shoe store where you live that sells to people needing such footware it's worth your time to check them out.

Reply to
DGDevin

If you need the cross trainers, will they let you weaqr an overtoe?

Reply to
Jay R

I'd pay for a picture of that...LOL.

Reply to
Robatoy

"charlie" wrote in news:gbjs0l$has$ snipped-for-privacy@aioe.org:

I wear my flip flops all the time, and have gotten pretty good at the drop & hop manuever. Whenever I drop something, I immediately hop backwards. That's not to say I haven't been bitten a few times...

Just like your hands on a power tool, you have to think about what would happen to your feet if the tool/piece disappeared.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

In a business, your Workman's Comp insurance company would investigate.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Timberland with Titanium toes.

Reply to
Leon

It's been awhile since I wore safety boots, so I have to ask if steel shanks are automatically part of today's safety footwear? Everybody mentions toe protection, but steel shanks are not mentioned at all.

Reply to
Upscale

Timberland makes steel toe shoes tht look like cross-trainers, kinda':

Zz Yzx