help with curved stretchers

Looking for some insight / thoughts

I am looking to make some stools for a new kitchen. The design I am shooting for uses stretchers that are curved in the chape of a horse shoe. The front of the stool has a straight stretcher. The sides and back from the horse shoe

I am interested in making the horsehsoe stretcher out of laminated strips of maple. I figure a form made of MDF, glue and clamps should do the trick.

Once I have the curved sections glued up I will need to clean the top and bottom of the curved section -- glue squeeze out. I am considering running them through the planer but not sure how this will work -- being that they are curved and I am not sure they will ride through perpendicular. I also have a drum sander.

Anybody got a good way to do this ?

Reply to
Sam the Cat

Hardened glue and planer knives - never the two should meet (unless you're willing to replace the knives of course - order two or three sets)

Two sided tape the parts together and run them through the drum sander on edge. If you want to be safer, make the form for bening 1/4" thinner than the height of the lams and double side tape it to the pieces before drum sanding

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b

block plane. some reasonably flat surface as reference.

Reply to
bridger