Started out to be "Inexpensive jointer"

Has anyone here owned or tried one of these Sears Craftsman 6" jointers--here a link to a photo of one:

My first impression is that it's too light for all but the lightest work, but there is more than one available in my neck of the woods so I thought I would ask.

In other news, the Grizzly catalog arrived today with the 8" G0490 for "5% off"--$950+$150 shipping. I think I could get the jointer above for less than the shipping on the Grizzly.

There "just something about cast iron"--where are you Oliver? (said in the spirit of "where are you, Elizabeth?" to those who may recognize that reference). I also know about a vintage Walker-Turner (heavy looking) "benchtop" jointer on sale for $400 (seems high).

Since I brought it up, an 8" Oliver is about $1800 + shipping, I think, over 600#. I haven't inquired about the shipping. I'm surprised I don't see the brand mentioned more often. I don't know how the current "Oliver" (distributed by Douglas Machinery?) is related to the one of yesteryear.

There's just something about cast iron... maybe I'm coming down with something? : )

Bill

Reply to
Bill

I'm starting to form an opinion from searching a bit online that it's probably not worth the trouble (set up issues, power, etc.). I think after you consider your time of installing and setting up new blades, etc, the investment should be in something that is worth it to begin with.

Sorry, if anyone objects to me answering this guy!

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Yup! It is a damn fine boat anchor. I owned one for 20 or so years and used it a hand full of times. Good for really short pieces assuming everything else is in alignment. Today I have no jointer.

Well, it is heavy and will easily joint the edge of most anything if it is short. This thing is really short.

If the Griz is 3 times more expensive it will be a better value.

Cast iron equates to heavy which equates to smoother running. MY TS is

700 lbs.

Reply to
Leon

Thank you, Leon. Yes, one of the Craftsman jointers was attached a cart with what looked like "spindly plastic wheels". I'm sure they were better than what you might find on a BBQ grill, but I'm not sure how much better...

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Your local CL may be a good source. I picked up a used, but in good condition, Jet 6-inch for about $250 a few years back. Had to replace the motor after a couple of years, but still was a good deal.

Larry

Reply to
Gramps' shop

Yes, thanks Larry, I've been watching it. Someone posted an older Jet in need of a bit of rehab for $700 the other day, that one could buy new for $919. I'm not ready to deal with that seller yet. I'll keep my eyes open!

Bill

Reply to
Bill

I bought a 6" delta years ago used at a garage sale for $200.

My opinion, keep looking and avoid the craftsman.

Reply to
woodchucker

Appreciate it!

Bill

Reply to
Bill

What in the world were they using it for at the garage sale? :~)

Reply to
Leon

----------------------------------------------------------------------- Had one back in Ohio.

Brought it with me to CA.

Had it stolen.

Set the cut to 1/32" and get on with life.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Bill wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news6.newsguy.com:

You may want to look at the Ridgid jointers from Home Depot. I'm happy with the one I have, but it doesn't see a whole lot of work. The chip ramp in the stand doesn't work all that great. Chips tend to collect rather than run down to the floor. A dust collector port is there at the bottom of the chute, and it might make things work better. (I'd rather see a funnel that drops the chips directly below the jointer.)

My local HD doesn't carry jointers any longer, but it looks like they can order them. I think the 6" was in the 3-400 dollar range.

FWIW, you're not buying a whole lot of capability with a jointer. A thickness planer and table saw will easily handle most jointer tasks.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Don't worry. It's not holding me up. I cautiously ventured out into the curiously-nice 65-degree temperatures and started my "spring cleaning".

Reply to
Bill

"woodchucker" wrote > I bought a 6" delta years ago used at a garage sale for $200.

I inherited one, and have not set it up yet, but intend to some day soon.

Any advice from anyone on setting it up to perform as well as it is able?

Reply to
Morgans

I should have had mine stolen, like you. I had to haul mine off and got nothing for it. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Why not just open up the chute below the jointer. I was able to modify my DC using a stiff putty knife. It was able to break the spot welds cleanly.

Reply to
woodchucker

---------------------------------------------------- Make your life simple.

Get the magnetic jig used to set up jointer blades.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

My former FIL (now deceased and not missed) had one. That's the best reason I know for NOT having one.

Reply to
dadiOH

"dadiOH" wrote

This one belonged to my dad (now deceased and missed) and I like using a jointer at times. I don't have access to my 5 foot long 8" cast iron monster I used when I was teaching. I have not gotten my home shop set up yet to be able to use the craftsman jointer yet. I simply wondered if there were any hints to get the maximum performance from the little machine.

Reply to
Morgans

There's very little one _can_ do with one of them...I believe it's possible to adjust the infeed if it's not quite coplanar but that's about it.

Sharpen the knives, get them set correctly and just don't expect too much. It'll do good work for what it's capable of--the biggest limitation is the _very_ short infeed table--it's just not long enough to handle any long stock. But, for most cabinet work and small furniture it should be adequate.

I started with a _very_ old 6" Craftsman of this variety

It was perfectly serviceable other than being a little shorter than one would like but I used it for almost 10 yr before upgrading to the 8" Delta (which is of roughly mid-60s vintage so was 25+ when I got it).

Reply to
dpb

"dpb" wrote >

About as I thought. A couple of roller stands will probably be nearby to use with longer stock, at least to hold it almost at the right place as it starts into and finishes coming out of the unit.

Yeah, that's what I had. I did have a problem near the end that I believe was the in and outfeed starting to get somewhat out of the same plane. I can't figure out what one of my idiots would have done to throw that monster out of adjustment.

Reply to
Morgans