Inexpensive Biscuit Jointer on Ebay

Did anyone buy one of those inexpensive (US$24.99) biscuit jointers on

and is happy with the purchase? Home Depot and other h/w stores here in the Ottawa area sell them for CDN$145.00 and up. I'm very tempted because I don't plan on using it very much after building some cabinets for the garage and basement. Comments or suggestions welcome.

Reply to
BM

I also was curious what someone who has tried one has to say, but I guess no one is willing to admit it.

Except for a couple pipe wrenchs, everything I have bought that was really cheap wasn't even worth what I paid for it. The biscuit joiners (not jointers; an easy mistake to make) either won't last to the end of your project, or they will be so unreliable that nothing fits together properly. You can count on it. I didn't expect to need an angle grinder much past a half hour job, so I bought one for $20; I figured it would last for at least 30 minutes. The disks that came with it didn't fit!

If you can't justify the price of a real one, look for used.

Reply to
Toller

or check with one of your local rental shops. Don't know whether they have biscuit joiners, but they often have a surprisingly broad assortment of available tools.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

I got a cheap generic biscuit jointer off eBay about 2 years ago to use as a backup and so far, I have no complaints. It works just fine for the little things I use it for and has never given me a problem.

Reply to
Brian Henderson

I always recommend buying the best. Inexpensive almost always means low quality. The bearing are the first thing to go afoul on cheap power tools. The die-cast metal parts are of the lowest quality. Such is the case with Porter-Cable... tighten up a locking screw and the casing breaks !

A fine tool lasts a lifetime: can take hard use: is a pleasure to operate and you'll feel better when you use it and you'll produce better work... there is a psychology incorporated into the tools we own. You wouldn't put on a pair of filthy blue jeans when you take a date to a fine restaurant... neither should we put on cheap tools to good wood.

Reply to
oakman

They work as advertised. They also get hot after using for any extended amount of cutting. But what the heck if you need a cheapie it works.

Reply to
yobosaeyo