Biscuit jointer

I'm giving my new DeWalt biscuit jointer a workout. I'm using it to assemble the redesigned carcase for my under-hearth drawer unit. It makes aligning and squaring the carcase very easy and appears to make a strong joint.

I've had no trouble, as some have reported, with the machine drifting off to one side from the motor's starting torque. I hold my thumb firmly on the fence and that seems to take care of that. On one occasion, I had the unit partially plunged into the work when the motor started and that caused it to jump off to the right. Maybe that explains their difficulties.

I discovered that one can cover up his errors by gluing a biscuit into a poorly-cut slot and, when it dries, trimming off the excess and re-cutting the slot.

Two more things I discovered: 1) one has to work quickly or the PVA glue starts to set up and it becomes very difficult to adjust the fit, 2) one has to apply a liberal amount of glue or the joints are NOT strong.

Reply to
Chuck Hoffman

That is not my experience.

1) I have done some pretty complicated assemblies without any problems. Sometimes the biscuit swells a bit, but it is nothing the clamps can't handle. 2) If you use a lot of glue it will just squeeze out and make a mess. If my lightly glued joints are not strong, I have never noticed. (and that probably means they are strong.)

I think you just need some practice.

Reply to
toller

"Chuck Hoffman" wrote in news:kPxNd.2543$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr23.news.prodigy.net:

Look for a glue with a longer open time. Titebond III is supposed to have this feature. Reportedly, some white, rather than yellow, wood glues also allow more working time. I've used Titebond Original Extend with good results, assuming no abnormal water resistance is required.

Low tack tape (blue or green painter's type) applied before gluing helps with squeezeout clean up, so you don't fear using adequate glue.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

1) use titebond 3 sparingly... you only need enough to swell the biscuit and let the wood around it absorb a small amount. 2) good tip, it's also in the manual, isn't it?

3) It you are doing repetitive cuts, you might want to make a simple jig like this one:

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis