Biscuit Jointer

Looking to get a good quality biscuit jointer. Have seen a new De Walt DW682K for 160 on ebay. Anyone used one of these or got another recommendation at a similar price?
Cheers.
This is not meant as an insult ... but how many bisquit joints do you have to do? if it is not something you are going to use every week - then 160 is a lot of dosh.
I bought a biscuit jointer cutter (Trend) and use that in my Router - works a treat.
There are a couple of Draper models (i.e. Part No : 75303 ) for around 40 ..... it may not be an all day every day tool, but at 4 times cheaper than the DeWalt, worth thinking about.
A good compromise is the Skill Biscuit Jointer - Iused one of these for a few days, seems a good machine very robust, and these are only 60

I'm not going to be using it professionally but at the same time I want one that is going to accurate. I was aiming to get a qaulity tool not just because it will (hopefully) be extremely robust but will also provide a high level of accuracy. Using cheap tools over the years has made me wary of them (and given me a somewhat scarred thumb) but at the same time I have learnt that expensive doos not always equal good - hence me looking for a recommendation.
Does anyone know of a website that does tool reviews.
flash wrote:

What about Rick's idea of a router (if you already have one?) with a biscuit cutter? Works for us....
-- Holly, in France Holiday Home in Dordogne http://la-plaine.chez.tiscali.fr /

Two problems:
It won't do T joints, where you need to biscuit into the middle of a panel.
Biscuits are supposed to be "quick and easy". If I want perfect, I'll cut dovetails. The router technique doesn't offer the guides or simple depth stop of a biscuiter.
Andy Dingley wrote:

Good point. We have only used it for a staircase and making boards into panels so didn't have that issue.

Yes, that's true too. We were using it on it's side, IYSWIM, so the depth stop on the router got the line and the depth was judged by hand. It was 'quick and easy' in the way we were using it but I can see that it wouldn't be in many other circumstances.
-- Holly, in France Holiday Home in Dordogne http://la-plaine.chez.tiscali.fr /

I paid about that for my AEG. It's nicely designed, but the build quality isn't as good as I'd hoped for that money. In particular the up & down movement is a bit stiff, owing to poor surface finish. The DeWalt's geared rack would be a definite improvement.
You certainly need the "drop front" design, not the removable square fence (like some older Freuds). Those are very slow to work with,
160 quid seems unimpressive. $160 is the typical US price and pound-per-dollar seems excessive with the dollar in its current state. A quick Google shows this http://diytools.com/store/detail.asp?ProductID5765
If this is your first biscuit jointer, then I'd suggest trying the Ferm (Screwfix) one first. It's quite a decent machine and a bargain-basement price. You have to be making an awful lot of joints before a top-end biscuiter pays for itself - you can get a lot of good work out of a cheapie (unlike jigsaws)
flash wrote:

I have had one of these. Most DeWalt products are pretty good, but this one is a dud. There is a design fault whereby the fence setting angle is 2-3 degrees out near 90 degrees. This makes it pretty useless. I returned mine, had another, same thing, therefore refund. At least one other person in this NG did the same.
I would suggest one of three options:
- If you are not looking for great accuracy and ease of use then you may find that a tool in the 60 league acceptable.
- In the range that you are looking, Makita and Bosch have products in the 190 area
- If you are looking for something that really is good quality, then Lamello make a better product. However, they start at the 240 range.
flash wrote:

>At least one other person in this NG did the same.
Hmmm. Thanks for the info.