.15mm end grain veneer the Japanese way

And that is a true craftsman at work.

Nice, I will never achieve that level. That is just beautiful work.

Reply to
woodchucker

I have never seen veneer like that before. That is impressive.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

I am speechless. Frick'n Wow!

Reply to
Morgans

Gorgeous. The Japanese apparently invented "sharp" eons ago.

Like most Japanese joinery/woodworking, a major requirement appears to be the ability to sit cross legged on the floor ... unfortunately, gonna have to pass on that requirement alone.

Reply to
Swingman

Did you notice the nubby finger? A real woodworker!

Reply to
G. Ross

Picture is worth a thousand words! He's got this "woodworking thing" bad! ; )

Reply to
Bill

No kidding. I was half surprised his feet were not involved..

Reply to
Leon

I think they were the ones that invented "scary sharp", long before it showed up here.

The metal in that plane must be something really special.

Reply to
Pat Barber

Gives anal a whole new degree of reference.

Reply to
Leon

The box is pretty nice too...I mean really. I wouldn't mind see how he applies and trims the veneer around the top edge, for instance. Whether he might do something besides the "vacuum" method?

I'm up to 4x on the video...

Reply to
Bill

Like most Japanese joinery/woodworking, a major requirement appears to be the ability to sit cross legged on the floor ... unfortunately, gonna have to pass on that requirement alone.

---------------------------------------------------------------- That's why chiropractors exist.

DAMHIKT

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Typically a mixture of glycerin and water applied to the veneer helps to make it more flexible and manageable.

Reply to
Leon

Mother had a jewel box like that - just not as fancy. Fewer 'atoms' in the design and likely on the road to this type.

Nice to see how it was made.

Thanks, Martin

Reply to
Martin Eastburn