Bleaching Maple? Veneer on end grain?

I just made a small chest out of bird's eye maple. Some of the pieces had dark wood on the backside, but I didn't care about that; in fact, some of it was pretty and I almost went with it on the front.

But... I failed to see that the endgrain would show the dark wood also. It just looks wrong. Any way to bleach it out? I thought about putting edge veneer on it, but throught the grain mismatch would cause it to fail. Anyone tried that?

Reply to
toller

Yes and HD has it. To late to run out to the shop to find the bleach but go to the paint dept and ask for Wood Bleach. It's a two part mix. Follow directions and it worked great on a table top I just built made from hard maple. Surprised the hell out of me as to how well it looked. Be careful on your final sanding though and go light or you'll sand away the bleached wood.

Bob S.

Reply to
BobS

I was sceptical, but youve never lied to me before! Anyhow, the bleach works just fine, thanks. I don't care for what it does to oak or walnut, but it is okay on maple.

Reply to
toller

Glad it worked as well for you as it did on mine. I even had some mineral spots that it took care of and tone differences between boards. One application and the top looks like it was made from a single board.

Like the package states - mix only what you need cause after about 4 hours (+/-) it looses its potency but...(and there's always a but). I sealed my leftovers in a glass jar and used that on the underside of the table and it worked equally well. So it will loose potency if exposed to air.

Bob S.

Reply to
BobS