warping of end grain

I'm make a bunch of end grain cutting boards.When I cut the glued up panels and flip them over on the end grain they all lift in the center, is there any way to minimize this?

Len

Reply to
leonard

I'm not trying to be an a**, Len, but isn't end grain pretty porous to be used as a cutting board?

Reply to
C & E

its ok, the end grain does not dull the knifes and does not show cutting marks much. You have to oil it well thought

Reply to
leonard

Butcher blocks have been end-grain for a looong time. Some google searching will give you tons of hits for end grain cutting boards.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

Can you be clearer on the problem? I made two a year ago and they are as flat as when I made them.

Reply to
Toller

This sounds like a moisture problem which could get worse when using for the intended purpose. Also an end grain board could be somewhat fragile and prone to breaking. A few options:

  1. Do nothing. Call it a design feature.
  2. Make them thicker.
  3. Cut them thinner and laminate to a long grain substrate.
  4. Breadboard or spline all 4 edges.

Art

Reply to
Wood Butcher

Did you alternate grain direction of the pieces?

Reply to
Bruce Barnett

I did alternate the grain, the wood was kiln dried and is 2 inches thick.before cutting the strips they were 4 square.Hard maple,cherry,honey locust..As soon as I cut them into strips each strip (about 2 1/8 inches thick) the center rises about a 32 to a 16th of an inch. this seems to be a pattern on all the woods.

Len

Reply to
leonard

Sounds like it might be a cutting problem. As I understand it, _if_ I understand it, the rise is along the long grain ([[[[ rise]]]])? You should be able to run the pieces through the tablesaw again, using the two-point contact first, and nibble them back to parallel.

If it's along the face grain (----rise----), no problem. Glue will do, so long as the thickness is right.

Reply to
George

I'm not clear from your description as to exactly when/where you are getting the deformation but dollars to doughnuts it is because the interior and exterior of the pieces have different moisture contents. Same thing if you resaw a board...the interior is wetter than the exterior and the thing will cup after resawing. The answer is...

After cutting, let the wood acclimatize again - it will pretty much unwarp itself in time. To be sure, cut it a bit oversize so it can be skinnied down after acclimatizing.

dadiOH's dandies v3.06... ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH