A weird project - End grain cutting board

glued up two cutting boards out of radom scraps. Then I cut them into 1" pieces, mixed them up, and turned them so that all the end grain was up, and glued them up. About a pint of BLO later...

It looks and feels like smooth formica, except the detail is way beyond what you could get in formica.

I am not sure I like it, but it is interesting.

Reply to
toller

It does look interesting, but end grain? Won't is suck up anything liquid on it?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

No, it is completely saturated with BLO. And I mean competely. If you apply it to the top, some wicks out the bottom. Let it dry a while, apply more, etc. It weights significantly more than the raw wood.

Reply to
toller

Large butcher cutting "blocks" are built this way

Reply to
TaskMule

REAL butcher block has always been endgrain, for wear resistance. Some Japanese blocks are actually a section of hard maple, maybe 4-8" thick and a foot in diameter, just cut straight from the tree and then iron banded like a hot tub to prevent splitting. I have two 2" thick endgrain hard maple boards about 12x18, they do drink oil, but they last forever.

Reply to
gpdewitt

I think it's butt ugly!! But it looks cool in an ugly sort of way and things like that are fun to build...even if you're really not sure if you should give it away (I should know...I have a cupboard full of things that look just like that!)

Rob

Reply to
Rob Stokes

Typically "Chopping" blocks are made this way with the end grain up. For true cutting boards, I've typically seen edge grain showing. Either way, I'm sure it'll work just fine! Cheers, cc

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

"toller" wrote in news:ZKwRd.8181$ snipped-for-privacy@news02.roc.ny:

Red oak, and other ring porous woods? Think a bundle of drinking straws...

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

Yes, the endgrain does not dull the blade as quickly as a "cross grain" cutting board. The grain separates a little at the knife edge, kind of like the way a horsehair (or whatever material that is) dartboard does.

dwhite

Reply to
Dan White

I believe that would be "boar bristles".

Reply to
JLarsson

I guess there's no accounting for taste, but I kinda like it.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

(real email)
(webpage)

Reply to
Tom Watson

Tom Watson wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Not in my house, thank you.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

Tom Watson wrote:

the first architectural woodworking shop (Loughman/St. Louis) I worked in the floor in the shop was made from

4 X 6's cut 4"(ish) long and laid on the concrete. It was one of the best surfaces to work on.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

The train museum in Pine Bluff, Arkansas has the same sort of floor. They used that because the end grain is so much tougher than side grain.

Michael

Reply to
Herman Family

yabut, end-grain *plywood*? There's just something wrong about that.

Mark & Juanita

takin' my 6x6 oak timbers and turnin' 'em into some decidedly not terribly attractive flooring.

Reply to
Silvan

I think a lot of 19th century factories had end-grain floors.

--RC

Reply to
Rick Cook

Well.now you have me thinking :)

a 3/4" sheet of plywood ripped into 3/4" pieces and stacked on a floor end grain up will price out to a little over a buck a square foot....and it would be unique :)

Hmm......

Rob

Reply to
Rob Stokes

toller wrote: :

I glued up two cutting boards out of radom scraps. Then I cut them into 1" : pieces, mixed them up, and turned them so that all the end grain was up, and : glued them up. : About a pint of BLO later...

Make sure that stuff cures properly before putting food on it. Next time you could try walnut oil (edible, cures, has a nice amber cast to it).

-- Andy Barss

Reply to
Andrew Barss